What did you buy that you regret?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rockjock3:
Hmmmm. That is the first time I have heard of any shops doing that (so far). My tanks have been hydro'd between two years ago and up to as recently as 2 months ago and never was forced to do a vip+ on them. Of course, with OC I am not suprised (that is a lot of other stories). I have had tanks done through three different shops, but they all send the tanks out to the same place for hydros (gaspro).

I believe that Oahu Fire Protection does hydros also. At least that was where the shop my husband used to work used to send theirs.

I started reading up on the internet on the VIP Plus thing that I'd been hearing about. Everything I've read independently backs what others have told me. Also, I asked around here in regards to buying used tanks and pretty much heard the same thing.

I've seen some pics of the aftermath of those 6351 tanks exploding and it is not pretty!

MeiLing:
I believe that Oahu Fire Protection does hydros also. At least that was where the shop my husband used to work used to send theirs.

I started reading up on the internet on the VIP Plus thing that I'd been hearing about. Everything I've read independently backs what others have told me. Also, I asked around here in regards to buying used tanks and pretty much heard the same thing.

I've seen some pics of the aftermath of those 6351 tanks exploding and it is not pretty!

Yea, I had heard of that requirement (many shops) for the 6351 tanks, but not just a blanket on all tanks.

These tanks actually splode? Should I really just scrap it then?

GTRio:
These tanks actually splode? Should I really just scrap it then?

From my research regarding purchasing used tanks, I found that anything pre-1990 was junk. At least for AL80's.

OK, thanks. No point in inviting hazards in this sport.

I was thinking about the economy of owning your own tanks, you definately need to dive a lot to make it worth while, at the recreational level anyways. With the purchase price, anual vis and hydros, all to save $5 per dive.

Anyone regret owning their own tanks? Or let them lapse and start renting again?

peterbkk:
This story gets more astounding as it unfolds. It ought to be in a separate thread as a lesson for others.

It is astounding that a 1971 tank could still pass a hydrostatic test. Most tanks have a usable life of 20 to 25 years, after which the effects of the constant stretching under pressure will deteriorate the metals.

If you have not used it for 7 years, you must get a full test, including hydrostatic done before getting it filled. It could be a bomb waiting to explode.

Regards
Peter

I have 2 72 cu. ft. aluminum with J-valves that were made in the early 70's that have current hydro and vis. I have never had any problems with them (knock on wood!). But I also can't comment on how often they were used before I got them either.

MeiLing:
From my research regarding purchasing used tanks, I found that anything pre-1990 was junk. At least for AL80's.

I thought that I read somewhere that the tanks made with that alloy were mainly Luxfer tanks made prior to 89? I could be mistaken, though. I will have to see if I can remember where I read that.

Dark Wolf:
I thought that I read somewhere that the tanks made with that alloy were mainly Luxfer tanks made prior to 89? I could be mistaken, though. I will have to see if I can remember where I read that.

I think that they were made up thru '89. I had read somewhere that anything pre-90 was suspect so that they were condemning everything made before 1990. Like I said, I was looking into buying some tanks off of a friend so I did a little research. I had even posted here some questions about what to look for/avoid in doing so. Some may still be here or might have been lost in the crash.

IIRC, Catalina Cylinders never used the alloy implicated in SLC.

Quote:
What did you buy that you regret?
Engagement ring

Too funny!

Back
Top Bottom