What did you buy that you regret?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eelnoraa:

It's simple. Comfort. For some of us who dive in cold water, the additional weight becomes a burden. With a steel tank, I dive with 12-14lbs and a full 7mm wetsuit. With an Aluminum tank, I would need to dive with closer to 20lbs.

At least to me, being more comfortable underwater justified the cost of a more expensive steel tank. There are plenty of divers who do not feel the same.

Here is what I don't get. If you said comfort ABOVE water, I can understand. If you said trim underwater, I can also understand. But you actually don't feel the more weight underwater because you set yourself up neutral to begin with, so under water you will be neutral with AL or Steel tank.

C.

Here is what I don't get. More comfortable under water is NOT due to the negative characteristic. Yes, you carry less "dead" weight. So it makes more comfortable ABOVE water. Once under water, you should be weight yourself exactly the same with steel tank or AL tank. The extra weight you carry with AL tank, you should NOT feel it underwater.

The HP100 allows you to take about 7lbs off your weight belt; more comfort and improved trim as it distributes the weight over your torso instead of one point.

If filled fully you get more air as well.

Adam

This I totall agree. I am 5'6". Being able to use a shorter tank, more air, less weight is a big plus about HP100. However, it is at least 2x the cost of AL80.

A HP100 tank is about the same size as a AL80(well, a bit shorter), and carries more gas. Most places will charge the same amount for a fill too ($10 lets say), even though your tank is 20CF~ bigger.

It's also 6lb~ you can take off your rig, and if you need to descend in an emergency at the surface there's less issues there. Resale values are close to the original prices too.

Now, LP tanks... Nah. Bigger, bulkier. I wouldn't use one over an AL80/double AL80/AL100.

Yes resale value is higher, but you also pay more to start with. And I don't get the descend in an emergency statement. With whatever tank, you carrie the right amount of weight so that you will be neutral with emty tank at 15ft for safety stop. Having a more negative steel tank, you carry less weight. So you don't descent any faster.

Overall, I do agree steel tank is a better choice especially in cold water, but to call AL80 a bad tank, "Evil AL80", I don't think they deserve this reputation.

Oceanic Folding Snorkel-- good idea that does not work. When you need a snorkel in scuba it's for surface swims, and the thing is too narrow to get any air through. Feels like breathing through a straw.

Adam

Lots of complaints on those but I like mine. Works fine and stays out of the way when I don't need it.

Finished. Thank you, I feel like Chuck Bartowski after downloading the Intersect 3.0 or Neo.
I know Kung fu.

At this moment, my regret is my regulator purchase. I got Hollis DC2/212(with swivel). It is a nice reg breath nicely at 100ft, but just too many compatibility issue.

The DC2 first stage has number of clearance issue. With both LP hose attached, it is impossible to attach a wireless transmitter, even one made by Oceanic. Not all spacer work on HP ports becuase the ports are recess. Same issue with LP port I have heard, so Miflex wont attach properly due to the recess. 212 Swevel 2nd stage makes converting to long hose very difficult if not impossible.

Overall, it is a nice reg performance wise. And if you want to keep it for recreational use, it will be a great reg too. But if you want to adapte any more advance diving, go with something else.

Mini spg for a deco bottle. A few minutes after charging the reg the plastic faceplate and o-ring blew. I found the o-ring about twenty fet away but haven't found the clear plastic disc.

At this moment, my regret is my regulator purchase. I got Hollis DC2/212(with swivel). It is a nice reg breath nicely at 100ft, but just too many compatibility issue.

The DC2 first stage has number of clearance issue. With both LP hose attached, it is impossible to attach a wireless transmitter, even one made by Oceanic. Not all spacer work on HP ports becuase the ports are recess. Same issue with LP port I have heard, so Miflex wont attach properly due to the recess. 212 Swevel 2nd stage makes converting to long hose very difficult if not impossible.

Overall, it is a nice reg performance wise. And if you want to keep it for recreational use, it will be a great reg too. But if you want to adapte any more advance diving, go with something else.

wow. i was doing some real soul-searching back in march when i bought my first reg. whittled it down to the HOG D1 or hollis DC2/212. went hog. looks like i ducked a bullet there.

I purchased 2 X 12L faber cylinders, the short ones. The work fine and have no issue, except that I can't use them for doubles. If I can do it over I would have bought 2 X 12L longs!!

I bought the SeaQuest proQ i3 bcd, I am wishing I bought a wing instead.... oh well next year:wink:

The very first piece of dive equipment I invested in was the Legend regulator with the Suunto Cobra air integrated console mounted dive computer. Beautiful dive gear! The very first trip I took with it, it was stolen. My insurance company covered the loss, but I regret purchasing a console mounted dive computer. I learned a big lesson. Nowadays I wear my dive computer on my wrist.

I bought a nice pair of $60 Aleutian kevlar gloves from my LDS and selling it to a buddy for $25 a couple weeks later. Used only once.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom