What Did You Self-Teach Yourself?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let's put it like this, my first formal sports diving certification was my NAUI Instructor card and resulted from a course. My first Scientific Diving certification was the result of a course. I taught myself (or was mentored) for everything else, including mixed gas, gas blending, oxygen rebreather, MK-15, etc. But then when I started doing these things there was no pay-for-play training available, reading and mentoring were the norm.

My tech instructor showed me how to service my ScubaPro regs. And I have another instructor friend who's coming over on Sunday to show me how to service my Apeks regs. Neither is exactly what I'd call a class ... but it beats taking them apart and figuring it out on my own.

The Vance Harlow book is good ... but I didn't come away from it with enough confidence to do my own work without more guidance.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hey Bob;

You lucky dog! While I have been diving for years, I still have yet to find that one person to say, "Yeah, I'll show you how to service these things." This coming from a person who has mated (as in crew position) on a boat out of a LDS, and all would do anything for me- well , except the teaching me how to service my regulators. I asked once at the shop, and after a negative, I did not want to push the issue because to me it was not worth ruining a good working relationship. I've asked several others, and with the same response, I figured they were just protectors of the patch but I really know there's more to it than that. I guess I just wanted to be bitter for a bit. Now I am over it.

I too have V. Harlow's book, and yes while insightful about certain aspects of overall regulators and maintenance, I would never wing it on that reference alone. I have all kinds of Apeks specific literature, and as I said, I have already had or made all of the tools. I actually have some brass hex stock left over if you want and if you have access to a lathe, I turned 3/8" 24tpi and 7/16" 20 tpi 1/2" in on the ends of a 4" piece because I did not want a stainless or even steel plugging my regulator for a vise holding tool. We have the technology. McMaster Carr has an awesome set of brass o-ring picks, and I have an old Armstrong and a German Spanner wrench to remove the dry seal cap. I don't have a seat extractor tool, but I will improvise. Heck, I may even get a small piece of acetal and chuck it in the lathe to place a pin drill and a paperclip! Hmmm...

Well, good luck with your "class", or get together. I am thinking if you can work on you Scubapro regulators, then Apeks will be a pleasant surprise and a sigh of relief.

And finally, I know, we are our own test divers. I am a very cautious person.

With kindest regards,
Thomas

The only thing I taught myself was to do skills in midwater, and even to this day that needs a lot of improvement. Other than that everything else was in a class...sort of. :)

This is a cool thread, I feel like it is the antithesis of most of the "you have to have a card or you are going to explode" sentiment that goes on around here.

I think there are two valid sides to this arguement. Some things can be learnt from a book....stuff like air consumption calculations. Some things can't be learnt from a book...stuff like how your air consumption can sky-rocket when you experience a problem at depth...or how narcosis will effect you on any given day. Those things come from experience only. Having the skills and solutions to deal with those problems comes from one of two sources... (A) instruction or (B) 'finding solutions yourself as problems arise'.

Of course, Option B assumes you can find a solution when you need one........

I learnt a lot from books and the internet (although I also learnt that a lot of internet knowledge is also inaccurate, badly regurgitated garbage spouted by people who spend too long online and not enough time underwater).

As I grew more experienced, I learnt that theory was safe to assimilate by myself, but skills need to be taught.

I also learnt a lot from spending time underwater...discovering, problem solving and overcoming technical challenges. In most cases, there was some element of 'getting away with it' from this approach, whenever things went wrong.

I also developed an appreciation of the benefits of paying for professional instruction and gained faith in the requirement to be supervised by a suitable 'expert' whenever I was entering into a new activity that could lead me outside of my comfort or skill zone if something went wrong.

One of the main things I learnt, is that a good instructor...who is genuinely interested and experienced in the course they are teaching...can provide a wealth of knowledge and insight into a subject and its skill development - that far surpasses the 'manuals' provided. And, of course, those people will be there to guarantee your safety as you take your first fin strokes into a new activity underwater.

Some people seem to support an arguement that there is nothing an instructor can teach them about diving activities that they couldn't learn for themselves. I feel that this viewpoint must stem from previous exposure to in-experienced or ill-motivated instructors.

Learning theory by yourself is fine....most diving organizations already expect a high degree of theory self-study by students. PADI offer online internet learning for the theory aspects of the OW course (and soon AOW course also). In time, I expect that the theory aspects of most courses will be available to complete online.

However, once the theory ends...and the practical begins...there is no replacement for having an instructor with you...even if only to guarantee that you are doing it right and to ensure your safety.

Take, for example, 'Underwater Photography'. Any of us can read a manual, scan some web articles, post some questions on forums. Surely that is all that is required? We can then go and snap away with our cameras on the nearest reef?

One of the things I learnt (as an instructor) is that people become task focused on the photography...and lost track of safety critical elements such as buddy contact, air, depth and time awareness.

When I teach photo... I run the course...show how to take nice photos... but students are also supervised to ensure that they don't place themselves in danger because of the new equipment (camera) and tasks (taking pics) that they are undertaking.

At the end of dive 1.... must students are red-faced because they had to be reminded of low air, distant buddy or rapidly approaching NDL.

On dive 2...those students are now balancing their enthusiasm with the camera along with the basic dive skills and protocols they learnt as novice divers. They learn how to work closely with their buddy to ensure safety AND maximise the photographic potential of the dive.

Is that in a manual...no.

Is it great information...yes.

Can you self-teach it...probably not...and if you do...it will be a case of 'lesson learnt after a resolved problem'.

For me...in regard to training courses...and self-learning by trial and error... I am fond of the following saying....

A clever man learns from his mistakes. A truly WISE man learns from the mistakes of others.

THAT is the benefit of tuition....especially when we make our mistakes in an environment that can kill us easily.

What does a C-Card show?

For me, it shows two things....

1. You took your diving seriously enough to seek tuition.
2. Your insurance company should pay if something goes wrong, because you are within the limits of your training and experience.

For me, it DOES NOT show....

1. Competence within any given activity. You may have forgotten, or later chosen to disregard, all of the training provided on the course.

What can a log-book of a very experienced, but sparingly certified, diver show?

1. You have experience doing something underwater...but may or may not have the solutions to potential problems inherent to that activity.
2. You may have critical gaps in your knowledge or skills (problems you've yet to encounter)?
3. A mis-balance between theoretical and practical skill development?
4. A risk taker? Saving money at the expense of safety
5. Arrogance and/or lack of self-awareness of personal inexperience?

the list goes on.........

As I grew more experienced, I learnt that theory was safe to assimilate by myself, but skills need to be taught.

SOME skills, sure. But can you tell me how I am endangering myself or others by learning the frog kick on my own? You can't bundle all skills together like that, it's crazy.

Dry suit . . .

the K

Originally Posted by DevonDiver
"As I grew more experienced, I learnt that theory was safe to assimilate by myself, but skills need to be taught."

Who taught the first teacher?

the K

Originally Posted by DevonDiver
"As I grew more experienced, I learnt that theory was safe to assimilate by myself, but skills need to be taught."

Who taught the first teacher?

the K

Meditating on this.....

Chicken and the egg.question :D

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom