What do all initials mean :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was kidding! Sorry...I should have done a little translation.

I can be an a$$ sometimes...I figured I was at least a *little* helpful providing an explanation of BP & Wings. Cherry - check out Dive Rite or Halcyon's web sites, they've got pictures of a backplate and wings to give you a visual. If you're local dive shop (See - I can type without acronyms!! local dive shop is usually LDS) is anything like mine, they won't have any for you to check out.

And the only reason I "get" the SAC joke is from reading a few classic espionage books about how the Russians are trying to kill us and only the air force can save us...I don't have any military experience beyond that.

...is this very website! Scuba Board is just a small part of ScubaSource. To get there, click the banner at the top of the page or The SNN at the bottom of the page.

Here's all you want to know about Acronyms

Thanks all, kinda takes me back to the navy (CDN) when I was an ASPO doing ASW and a USN DDG came up on the net and announced the following " All stations stand clear, all stations stand clear Papa whisky is DWI, Papa Whisky is DWI" Now I know the poor schmuck meant to say DIW ( Dead in the water) not DWI or Driving While Intoxicated . When we pulled into Pearl the next weekend that poor DDG recieved more bottles of Asprin and barf bags as gifts from just about every ships company participating in that years RIMPAC. :D

If you've been in the military...you've got all of us whupped on acronyms. They come up with an acronym for EVERYTHING it seems! And some of them are just ridiculous...

Cherry once bubbled...
Thanks all, kinda takes me back to the navy (CDN) when I was an ASPO doing ASW and a USN DDG came up on the net and announced the following " All stations stand clear, all stations stand clear Papa whisky is DWI, Papa Whisky is DWI" Now I know the poor schmuck meant to say DIW ( Dead in the water) not DWI or Driving While Intoxicated . When we pulled into Pearl the next weekend that poor DDG recieved more bottles of Asprin and barf bags as gifts from just about every ships company participating in that years RIMPAC. :D

You keep that attitude & you'll do fine around here. :) There tends to be a few smart arses around here (me included I'm afraid), but GOOD people. Hope to see ya around.

Thanks to those who understand a little Military humor. :jester:

you might find this link useful also
it contains not only accronyms but other slang terms used by those in the "know" :)

http://wrolf.net/scuba_slang.html

SAC - your rate of breathing gas consumption measured in ft3 (that's cubic feet) while at rest (normal breathing) at sea level with only the weight of earth's atmosphere (1 ata) above you.

There is no good or bad SAC rate - it is personal to your physiology and other factors. However, it is true that most people lower (or improve) their SAC over time as they relax and grow in experience. Many external factors contribute - your fitness, anxiety, comfort, work load, water current, water temperature, water depth, regulator tuning, buoyancy and thus weighting. Women and children and smaller people generally have a lower SAC. This allows them to stay down the same amount of time as their larger buddies while diving on a significantly smaller and lighter tank.

Be aware that SAC calculated directly from a dive is effected by how many times you used air from the cylinder to inflate your Dry Suit or BC too.

SAC is a good number to understand early in your diving because it can represent changes in your abilities or even aid you in spotting problems, and it certainly is a good number to know when choosing a buddy. It can help you choose equipment especially your choice of cylinder. Also you and your buddy with a similiar SAC will be happier diving together. But alas it is only one factor when choosing a buddy.

If you want to know how to do this, it sounds complicated but it really isn't. Here is how:

1. In the water before decending note the starting cylinder pressure.
2. After the dive is over at the surface note 3 things - depth (average depth is best if you have a dive computer), dive time, and your ending cylinder pressure.

For the first number in the formula subtract end pressure from start pressure. Take this number and divide it by the rated pressure of the cylinder (marked on the cylinder or ask your dive shop). This gives you the cubic feet of gas you sucked down on your dive. Note this as part I of your formula.

For the second number take your depth add 33 then divide the result by 33. Multiply that answer by your dive time. Note this as part II of your formula.

Your SAC is part I divided by part II. For a new diver the number is most likely to be between .3 and 1.5 but don't worry at all if your number is higher like 2 or 3, after all your new to scuba. If your number is lower than .3 check behind your ears for gills.

go slurp some air

Back
Top Bottom