What do veteran divers think about Air vs Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try thinking of nitrox as a "tool". Use the proper tool for the proper application. Part of using a tool is to get proper instruction and knowledge of the tool's uses and the parameters of those uses. As some have stated already, a nitrox class would be a good class to take if one is considering diving on a regular basis, that way you would know and be able to decide the why's or why not's for yourself. IMHO, you can never have too many tools, just not enough tool boxes to put them in.:wink: Semper Fi, Dave

mudchick:
It debunks some of the advantageous myths such as feeling less tired using nitrox. According to a study cited in the article, feeling more energetic or less exhausted is a placebo effect. I've heard more than one diver here on the board and in real life say the feel much better after their dives using nitrox. I guess I won't really know til I try it myself.
About three years ago, there was a poll on scubaboard about nitrox and fatigue. http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=283438

As I commented back then, my belief is that someone who is less fatigued when diving nitrox has been diving in a manner such that they have subclinical DCS.

I used to notice a signficant difference between fatigue after nitrox and air dives, until I started doing deep stops 4 or 5 years ago. With deep stops, much if not all of the difference disappears.

I just got back from a 24 day trip to the Philippines and used Nitrox 95% of the time. For me as a photographer, the extra bottom time is the big advantage but we still went into deco most of the time so now I'm going to Trimix. Not for very deep diving but extended bottom times at depths above 150'. I have in the past been diving air very deep and doing a lot of deco but as I get older and better choices become available, I'll take advantage of them. To me, advanced gas diving is just safer.
Nitrox does not make me feel less tired.

I use Nitrox whenever possble.
The only time I don't is if my dive profile risks going too deep, or if its going to be a really shallow dive, like Florida Keys.

So, yes I always think about Nitrox.

Diver Dennis:
I just got back from a 24 day trip to the Philippines and used Nitrox 95% of the time. For me as a photographer, the extra bottom time is the big advantage but we still went into deco most of the time so now I'm going to Trimix. Not for very deep diving but extended bottom times at depths above 150'. I have in the past been diving air very deep and doing a lot of deco but as I get older and better choices become available, I'll take advantage of them. To me, advanced gas diving is just safer.

You would still have the deco on Trimix. :confused:

The answer to shorter deco is a rich mix of Nitrox or 100% O2.

Another benefit of Nitrox is as a deco gas.

tropicaledit:
My understanding with Nitrox and O2 Toxicity is, theres basically no warning signs once you pass 1.6 ata, and your going to more than likely meet your maker.

From your post it sounds like you're assuming that once you pass 1.6 ata then BAM !! you're in trouble. I believe there is also an exposure time associated with these levels. The NOAA Diving Manual gives a maximum single dive limit of 45 minutes at 1.6 ata, and a maximum 24-hour limit of 150 minutes. Of course, these time limits are not infallible, but as the NAUI Nitrox Manual sez, you'd almost surely hit your gas and deco limits before hitting the O2 exposure limits.

And to further put it into perspective, in addition to the 45 minutes max per dive at 1.6ata ppO2, NOAA lists an "exceptional" exposure limit of 120 minutes at 1.6ata, and 30 minutes at 2.0ata.

Obviously, I don't plan on spending 30 minutes at 2.0ata, but I'll definitely go at least that deep for a few minutes to rescue someone, unlike many divers that seem to think they are going to tox the instant they exceed 1.6ata.

Ref: tables at the bottom of DAN article http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=35

Many say that they feel better after a Nitrox dive (versus air). Researchers say that it's the placebo effect.

Fine, I'll take placebo. I feel significantly less tired when diving on Nitrox versus air. This is especially true when I'm diving several times a day for a week or more at a time. I can dive more often and feel the need to take fewer days off during extended dive vacations when using Nitrox.

FWIW, I'm 46 years old.

I used to feel better post dive on nitrox versus air. Then I started spending a minute at half depth and spending a lot of time going from the safety stop to the surface, as in 2-3 minutes, and now I never have that worn out feeling.

The benefit that nitrox gives me now is that I don't have to turn the last dive or two of the day on no-deco rules, and can still turn it on gas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom