• Knife/Cutters on BC

Votes: 74 67.3%
  • Knife/Cutters on Both

Votes: 22 20.0%
  • I don't need no stinking cutters!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thalassamania:
Cutting impliments:
  • Randall on the inside of my left calf.
  • Carbide bladed wire rope cutter (for cutting wire rope and XBT wire out of props) mounted upside down, on the right, toward the bottom of my tank. Sometimes I ditch this one.
  • Small BC knife, horizontal on the cummerbund.
  • Line cutter on lanyard in pouch on left shoulder strap.
  • Two pair of Paramedic Sheers, one on lanyard in BC pocket and the other in my butt mounted emergency bag.
If it's not on a lanyard (I use those plastic spiral spear gun lanyards) it has a bungie wrist strap.

WOW... Kinda makes me think of Edward Scissorhands.:wink: (J/K)

I guess, depending on where and what you dive, you can't be too careful.

Carry a set of titanium shears in a homemade sheath on bc and if i feel i might need knife... a blunt tip though rather large knife on belt.

DaleHall:
WOW... Kinda makes me think of Edward Scissorhands.:wink: (J/K)

I guess, depending on where and what you dive, you can't be too careful.
Well Johnny Dep I'm not, but I'm always around a bunch of crap (or so it seems). A lot of that "overkill" has to do with keeping stuff from working it's way up the mainshaft of our research vessel and has just become full time habit.

Big Wenoka pig sticker on the inside right calf, old school style, plus a Z Knife on my bp/w shoulder strap.

Having just learned of the existence of titanium shears for a reasonable price from the other current thread, I'll be adding one to my pocket shortly. I also intend to replace the Z Knife (which rusts after two or three dives) with the OMS titanium line cutter at some point soon.

When diving

(Modified) Buck Intrepid on waist strap of BP harness.
OMS shears in pocket on waist strap.

Topside

Folder: either a Spyderco Salt (around water), or a Benchmade designed by Allen Elishowitz or Pat Crawford (out and about town)

Fixed blade: Bud Nealy Aikuchi in MCS

A 1 gigawatt small bore laser....just kidding...EMT shears and a folding dive knife in the pocket.

EMT shears in my right BCD pocket, a 2" lockback knife in my left BCD pocket. Both have lanyards that go onto my wrist before being used.

The advantage of being in the pockets is that they just live there permanently, even when rinsing and drying the BCD. They are ALWAYS with me.

The disadvantage is slowness in deployment. In most cases, the best action in case of entanglement is to immediately stop moving, so slow deployment shouldn't normally be a problem. The one exception is getting hung up while in a mask and reg ripping level of current. If I were to be diving in those conditions, I'd probably move my knife to a more accessible location.

Shortened steak knife in a mini-mag lite sheath on my BC belt.
OMS cutters I found at a dive site on a lanyard in my BC pocket.
Cheap plastic line cutter in another BC pocket.

I think I'd rather have EMS shears than the spring-loaded OMS (Fiskars under the OMS sticker) cutters because you don't have to rely on the spring to open them, and you can "kwonk" them a little to keep small lines from going between the blades.

Cut off steak knife on my harness, Z-knife on my computer strap.

I personally never understood the whole knife-on-the-leg thing. Seems like one of the worst places to have one but if you must, inside of the leg where it's less likely to get hung on something.

Back
Top Bottom