What do you consider basic spearfishing gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will be eating what I catch and as a lifelong fisher from this local area, I will not let any go to waste. The guy taking me spearfishing has a spare powerhead for me in .223 so I have that covered as well.

JPENDERGRAST you said the PPD is in case you run into a tax collector, are those legal to take with spears or do you just powerhead them and let them sink :D

if its your first time dont bother with a power head it will only complicate the first time. (spear the AJ what the worst that could happen)

About those measuring marks on your gun. First you have to kill the fish before measuring it.

Welllllllll,,,,,I can kinda understand where your coming from and hopefully the monster fish are always plentiful where you dive. But in Jupiter, our buddies trash talk us to no end if you put a butt shot on a fish, let alone shoot a short fish. Asking a new spearo to wait until a trophy fish comes in range just won't happen.

I do have a ruler on the my gun and look at it for reference underwater to double check before I take the shot. Call it insurance. Going deep at 130 - 150 also distorts your vision and it's good to have a reference. If the fish is close in size, I don't take the shot.

When lobstering, I also have alot of red grouper come right up to my mask to see what I'm digging for. I have actually held my ruler up sideways to a red grouper to see if it was legal.

I'd highly recommend all new spearo's have either measuring marks, duct tape marks, or a ruler so they can turn their gun sideways for a quick glance and then take the shot. It will prevent them from killing a fish that isn't legal and no one wants that.

DSC00647.jpg

JPENDERGRAST you said the PPD is in case you run into a tax collector, are those legal to take with spears or do you just powerhead them and let them sink :D

It is illegal to harvest any type of fish with a Powerhead in Florida state waters. You can only use it as a means of self-defense. If you plan on using it to actually kill a fish legally (regardless of species), you must be in Federal waters (>12 miles from shore for FL, I believe). Like I said, I haven't had to use mine, but if I did, I would do my due diligence to take the shark home. That said, the few times I've had a Bull which actually showed interest in me, there were two others with it. In that situation, I would be quick to let it spiral to the bottom and get out. :sharkattack:

(spear the AJ what the worst that could happen)

:shakehead: This is just a terrible idea.. Please don't go out and shoot a 50lb AJ on your first dive, if you see an AJ that meets creel which is 30" at the fork (good luck), pop it, but just remember, those things really do wake up from the dead and fight.

When lobstering, I also have alot of red grouper come right up to my mask to see what I'm digging for. I have actually held my ruler up sideways to a red grouper to see if it was legal.

I'd highly recommend all new spearo's have either measuring marks, duct tape marks, or a ruler so they can turn their gun sideways for a quick glance and then take the shot. It will prevent them from killing a fish that isn't legal and no one wants that.

Good advice here, and spot on with the Red Grouper, those fish are dumber than dumb...

The measuring marks are for a referance, you might not see a monster that is obviously legal but you might see one that is def a little over min legal. It isnt so you can shoot every fish you see then measure and toss shorts after you shoot them

:shakehead: This is just a terrible idea.. Please don't go out and shoot a 50lb AJ on your first dive, if you see an AJ that meets creel which is 30" at the fork (good luck), pop it, but just remember, those things really do wake up from the dead and fight.
QUOTE]
oh i know how bad idea its was i did my first hunt. that bad boy drug me about 300 yards, broke my spear, wacked me in the balls, and stole my dive knife.(it was in his head as he swam off) best hunter ever

AJ's aren't hard to stone, especially if you have a good gun. If you want to get your a$$ kicked go shoot a 80lb cobia. Cobia are hard to stone and they fight just like AJ's.

I was actually referring to powerheading the tax collector..not the fish...but yes I know they are for protection only. I will have a spare band and already have markings for measurement on my gun but i really like the pic of the one above, that is just great.

I feel a trip to home depot coming on a bit later today...

Last edited:
Oh and I will be staying away from AJ's for now, need more experience, looking for nice hogs to start with.. will work my way to grouper and go from there, no rush..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom