What do you do over the winter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aha! I was always wondering about folks who dive dry, I know that most of the body is warm, I just wonder about the face. :)
I dive weekly in waters that are usually 48ish degrees. I dive dry with dry gloves and a 3mil hood. As long as the body stays warm it isn't too bad, but it does suck that initial bit of cold on the face. Cheeks and lips get pretty cold, but not teeth chatteringly cold. You eventually don't even notice it.

Mind you, I'm a Midwesterner born and bred and I LOVE winter! :)

I'll report back after the dive weekend!
I was born and raised in Buffalo, New York. Live there a majority of my life, moved out in 1998. I'm used to the cold, bitter winters too.

One Caribbean vacation and other hobbies:

I'm going to a quarry 5 hours away the first weekend in December with a dive buddy. A coworker rearranged her days off (nothing planned) to allow me to do this. :). I owe her! Got thicker dry suit undies last night ( Fourth Element Arctic). Already have dry gloves and a good Waterproof hood, so I'm all set.

I have the 10mm Waterproof hood and I LOVE it!!!!!!! It is seriously the best. The coldest I've dove with it was 36F and I wasn't cold, except my lips went numb lol

We schedule a weekly two-hour pool session at the high school I teach at. Work on skills, do laps, etc. Then we go out for a beer. Just an opportunity to get wet, especially for those not keen with winter (or ice) diving in Maine waters.

I have the 10mm Waterproof hood and I LOVE it!!!!!!! It is seriously the best. The coldest I've dove with it was 36F and I wasn't cold, except my lips went numb lol

I have the 3mm/5mm hood and love it. The venting system is great. I expect I'll have to get a heavier hood if I do more cold water diving.

Also have the Waterproof 10mm, it's just great. :)
The only Hood i ever tried that was even better was the Spyder K01 8mm.. unbelievably comfortable, but the price is a complete joke at about 145€ (~$US 160).

@Chip Elliott The Cold on the Face burns a bit for two or three minutes, after that it just gets numb... not a Problem at all. :)

Last edited:
I might do a dive or two in a pool over 'winter', just to see some dive friends.

In reality, this is the meat and potatoes of my dive season. I don't get many dive in during summer months (although, I've done fairly well this year).

Add in an 'escape the snow and -40C' trip to the Caribbean and I easily get over 100 dives in those few months ...

_R

If it ain't south, the dive gear is put away in favour of skiing. I try for at least 1 south trip mid winter.

Back
Top Bottom