What do you do over the winter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try real cold water diving - winter sea temperatures here are about 6C(42F) with lakes and quarries going colder still.
Oh dude, our rum and cokes get down to 32 degrees. They are brutal! They have ice and everything. Do you realize how hard it is to pack your scrubber and hold your drink?

Oh dude, our rum and cokes get down to 32 degrees. They are brutal! They have ice and everything. Do you realize how hard it is to pack your scrubber and hold your drink?
Rum & coke? Try soup, coffee or hot chocolate to warm you after getting out! The rum & coke comes a lot later on.

My winter diving is simple. In Nov & Dec. I dive wet maybe one dive every week (or two, depending on storms).. Gear up in the basement, walk maybe 100'- to our shore. Then a 20 min. (+?) single dive and back to the house. Coldest thing is getting the wet stuff off outside in January. But most Jan.-Feb. & maybe March we snowbird on the N. Gulf of Mex., so there is no need for a drysuit just for Nov./Dec. I'm lucky in that I can (kinda) keep something going all year. I'm retired from DMing and have no use for a pool that's 50 miles away. Probably wouldn't use it if it were next door. Our NS Atlantic can reach close to freezing a couple of winter months. I have dived wet in 33F water from a boat.

My winter diving is simple. In Nov & Dec. I dive wet maybe one dive every week (or two, depending on storms).. Gear up in the basement, walk maybe 100'- to our shore. Then a 20 min. (+?) single dive and back to the house. Coldest thing is getting the wet stuff off outside in January. But most Jan.-Feb. & maybe March we snowbird on the N. Gulf of Mex., so there is no need for a drysuit just for Nov./Dec. I'm lucky in that I can (kinda) keep something going all year. I'm retired from DMing and have no use for a pool that's 50 miles away. Probably wouldn't use it if it were next door. Our NS Atlantic can reach close to freezing a couple of winter months. I have dived wet in 33F water from a boat.
Jealous? Me? Hell yes. Would love to have a diving spot on my doorstep. Nothing wrong with diving cold water providing a) you are equipped for it b) acclimatised to it and c) you can get out and get warm pretty quick afterwards. A lot of folk forget B - acclimatisation can make water seem a lot nicer than it should be. We have quite a few lunatics that do the "looney dook" in little more than swimming costumes or fancy dress or go wild swimming in locks at 4-5C.

I'm going to a quarry 5 hours away the first weekend in December with a dive buddy. A coworker rearranged her days off (nothing planned) to allow me to do this. :). I owe her! Got thicker dry suit undies last night ( Fourth Element Arctic). Already have dry gloves and a good Waterproof hood, so I'm all set.

I'm going to a quarry 5 hours away the first weekend in December with a dive buddy. A coworker rearranged her days off (nothing planned) to allow me to do this. :). I owe her! Got thicker dry suit undies last night ( Fourth Element Arctic). Already have dry gloves and a good Waterproof hood, so I'm all set.
Does your face get cold?

The coldest water I've been diving in so far was about 60F. Cheeks were fine. People have said they can get chilly, so we shall see! :) This will be an Ohio quarry.

Aha! I was always wondering about folks who dive dry, I know that most of the body is warm, I just wonder about the face. :)

Mind you, I'm a Midwesterner born and bred and I LOVE winter! :)

I'll report back after the dive weekend!

Like a lot of committed UK divers (or should I say we should be committed to an institution), I dive all year round.

The big difference, especially for those of us away from the coast, is we end up diving quarries and lakes. The weather s to unpredictable to plan sea dive if you have to travel.
The advantage for most UK divers is that we dive dry 12 months of the year anyway. The dives just get shorter, or you add more thermal layers. Anyway I cheat these days, I have a heated vest :).

Gareth

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom