What do you do when the cab driver lies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We had a cab driver charge us $200 pesos for a short ride between two locations in downtown that was supposed to be $60-80 pesos. Thought we would be safe as the hotel arranged the cab for us. Biggest lesson we learned was negotiate the price upfront and don't just get in expecting them to charge you a fair rate at the end.

We had a cab driver charge us $200 pesos for a short ride between two locations in downtown that was supposed to be $60-80 pesos. Thought we would be safe as the hotel arranged the cab for us. Biggest lesson we learned was negotiate the price upfront and don't just get in expecting them to charge you a fair rate at the end.
We are talking peso’s though, obviously it would matter in US dollars.

My man with a van tells me the rate chart is 15 years old - I have no reason to doubt him.......

I was at 5th Ave and Salas today and wanted to go to La Cucina Italiana at Called 6 and 15th Ave. It was noon, hot, and I did not feel like walking since I didn't have interim stops at the lab along the way for Covid testing, so I flagged a passing cab and asked for a quote. "60 Pesos." Ok, I know that their rate card says 26 Pesos from one point to another within Zone 1 to another in Zone 1. I would not like driving a passenger for $1.30USD, but it's their rate card. I argued that their rate card says 26, and he says "Huh." I ask to see the rate card, which he's required to show, but he says "Huh." I showed him a photo of the card that I keep on my phone, and he still plays dumb. Yeah, I could wave him off and look for the next cab, but who knows how that will go as this seems typical of past experiences, so I offered 40 Pesos and he took me.

Lunch was great. I had the Shrimp and Fetachuni with Alfredo sauce, my usual. I walked back with a stop at the ice cream shop on 10th Ave.

Would it help if I carried full-size copies of their rate card? They usually seem willing to lie about fares still.
Well, I had to work in an office all day today. You paid $2.00 instead of $1.30. He probably needed the $0.70 more than you. Count your blessings

So most of you don't care about the dishonesty of bait and switch?

Yeah, I usually offer less and we settle on something.
Nope. It is a pittance.

My man with a van tells me the rate chart is 15 years old - I have no reason to doubt him.......
I have a bridge in Brooklyn that needs a new owner. Here's a 2016 post that says he's wrong.

But I get it. The published rates are irrelevant, so I need to pay whatever they feel like charging. Yeah, sure.
As of yesterday I saw the new pesos rate schedules have been put in place for fares.

I didn't get a picture to share but they look to be raised by 20%.

Eg. An 80 pesos fair Tuesday is 95 Thursday.

The couple drivers we spoke with are unhappy because it hurts those paying in pesos (many locals) but doesn't effect those paying in dollars (mainly foreigners). Though it is thought to fix the foreigners trying to get a better exchange rate for foreign currency while in Mexico by raising the prices in pesos to match the exchange rate better.

If I have a chance I'll post up the new rates.

That is all,
Cameron

I believe rates were last increased in late 2016.

@DandyDon I'm with you. I don't like being lied to, even if it is a small amount. I don't mind giving to charities, but I don't have a specific desire to give to the taxi mafia. While many drivers are nice (and those I tip well), I've also had a number of experiences where drivers tried to hit me with the Gringo tax. I think I would have handled it the same way, and would not have added any tip onto the negotiated (increased) rate. I don't tip those who try to over-charge me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom