What do you do when the cab driver lies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it fuels the "ugly Mexican" stereotype. Again, it's not about the amount but the constant barrage of hustling that leaves you wondering with every transaction if you are getting fleeced. And if you accept it, just like paying a bribe to a cop instead of insisting on the ticket, it just encourages more of it. If Mexico doesn't want to be thought of as a Third World country then maybe it should stop with the Third World practices? Maybe Mexico is what it is because of thise "culture"?
"Fleeced" is an awfully strong word when we are talking about adding 70 cents to an already very cheap cab fare.

It's not "so bad" because I am able to keep it manageable. And I go other places, too. I guess you never have a complaint about anything, ever.
To complain about cost in Cozumel is ridiculous, the diving is great, food is great, and the people if you take the time to get to know them are great as well. If you travel other places you certainly know Cozumel is a bargain.

If a person comes home from Cozumel and they are complaining about pennies on the dollar cab fare issues, I think perhaps a change of focus is needed.

"Fleeced" is an awfully strong word when we are talking about adding 70 cents to an already very cheap cab fare.

But we're no longer talking about 70 cents on a cab dfare but the overall principle of being ripped off.

If a person comes home from Cozumel and they are complaining about pennies on the dollar cab fare issues, I think perhaps a change of focus is needed.
As if...

But we're no longer talking about 70 cents on a cab dfare but the overall principle of being ripped off.
And that is a relative term. Call me pragmatic because I am; if I am being "ripped off" for what is literally pennies, that is far down in the noise for me and I'm not going to sweat it. Hundreds of dollars or more, then you have my undivided attention. Anything in between is a judgement call. Principle be damned.

This all started with Don looking for support for his getting his knickers in a twist over a cab fare that was less than a dollar more than he thought it should be. He's not getting it from me; if it happened to me I wouldn't have wasted the time starting a thread about it.

I do not support excessive tipping.

I do not support tipping at all. If they ask me 50, I pay 50. If they ask 100, I pay 100. No question, no complaint. But I want a receipt for what I paid, with no tip exposed.
This is because I will be fully refunded for the fare from my employer, but not for the tip, which is considered a gratuity, hence not refundable.

When it amounts to literally pennies, going to the mat over it makes us seem petty, and it fuels the "ugly American" stereotype.
In my mind, the stereotype of the "Ugly American" fits the person who seemingly doesn't care to learn what the customary price may be, who seemingly doesn't understand the value of money. That 70 cents IS important to them, and I make an effort to show I understand it is not "nothing." I try to show I'm not totally clueless and that no matter how much wealthier I may be than the average blue collar Mexican, I'm NOT the Ugly American. I'll speak Spanish, and get them to knock off a few cents if they try to charge too much, and I think both they and I are pleased in the end.

My opinion on this is not so unlike my opinion on the American-style tipping thing. :stirpot:

I'm in the process of booking my next trip. I'll take a shot at every 70 cents hike, that way I can stay calm and enjoy my ride. :rofl3:
My opinion on this is not so unlike my opinion on the American-style tipping thing. :stirpot:

I like to tip well, at a bar I get instant returns.

I do not support tipping at all. If they ask me 50, I pay 50. If they ask 100, I pay 100. No question, no complaint. But I want a receipt for what I paid, with no tip exposed.
This is because I will be fully refunded for the fare from my employer, but not for the tip, which is considered a gratuity, hence not refundable.
Sounds like you can save a lot of money! In my opinion some people definitely deserve a tip just as some absolutely do not.

I live in Colombia and hardly ever use cabs because they always want to rip you off. I rather use Uber even if I have to wait or pay more BTW, I hope you guys ain’t hailing cabs from the street I Mexico.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom