What do you put in your log?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Every dive I do is special to me, therefore I log everything. Date, time, depth, air, temp (both surface and depth), type suit, weights, also do my tables, at the bottom I place my notes about who I was with, what we saw and the dive site.

Beside the obivious things listed here I note things that need repair, new things introduced into my dive equipment and if they force any changes in behavior. As wenn I started diving with the air integrated Cobra, I learned that I have to show the instrument to new buddies before descend or they won't have a clue comparing remaing air etc.

Aside from the usual information that will get downloaded from my Cobra like water temperature, air consumption and all that good stuff, I like to add as much as possible.

How much weight I use, new equipment I tried, who my buddy was, water conditions, dive site, problems that I encounter, type of dive and anything of interest that I saw.

.... endangered species! (They are getting a bit smelly now but a lot flatter as the years go by)
:jester:
Aquamore

Along with water & air temps, depth & time and other stuff, I have always recorded how much weight I wore which has been a great help to me...unfortunately I don't dive often enough to remember how much I need. I haven't always recorded air consumption but think I will start doing that, so I can see how that varies with conditions and as I get more experienced (I'm a novice).

On one dive last fall I recorded all the junk my buddy & I pulled out of a lake popular with swimmers...makes for an amusing read. My buddy picked up a snorkel, a mask, several golf balls, a broken fishing rod with a very nice reel, a golf disc (you know, for frisbee golf), three oars, and several other things...what wasn't jammed in her goody bag she carried in her hands - was great buouancy practice! Especially since the bottom was very silty. She was leading so she got the good loot. We're going back again this fall & I'll make another list so we can compare.

Originally posted by Zept
Thanks Rick. I like the way yours has space for RNT, ABT, TBT and TDT. Is WX/OAT a weather thing?

Z
"Weather and Outside Air Temp" - not much room on that line, but I use the old aviation shorthand of three decades ago, which will fit just about anything but TORNADO or HURRICANE - and I'm not likely to need that on a dive log sheet... :)
Rick

I added nitrogen and oxygen loading - recorded as # of tick marks on my oceanic's graphic display. Also, each entry is designed for 2 divers as my wife is usually my buddy.

I usually try to list some of the unique things about the dive and location so I know weather or not I want to return and where I saw something of interest

Mine, more of the same I include buddy name at the bottom. Do a bio of the dive... freed fish, where we went, anything that made that dive different than the rest. And then my 'list' and 'try' section. my 'list' of things that happened that I didn't like usu problems or area of technique/skill that need improvement. And things to 'try' on the next dive or soon. Also I don't let myself dive until I've finished the log entry from the last dive, and with the exception of a few sign off signures. I'm proud to say it's complete and up to date. I am running out of blank pages though.

Forgot to say... in the back of my log book I have a pocket made from an old envelope, which contains:

Spare c-card, MFA card, DAN card
Photocopies of my passport and travel insurance
Dive tables
Laminated card with instructions for computer
Checklist for identifying DCS
Page of photos for identifying local nudibranchs
Map for locating dive boat (limp and smudged from the trip when everything got wet)

Plus I usually have a moon calendar from Googol.

If I ever lose my log book, I'll be seriously unhappy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom