What do you put in your log?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zept

Contributor
Reaction score
For those who keep logs, what do you record -- beyond the obvious things, such as date, depth, time and so on?

When I started, I thought about recording problems I'd had, but I didn't want it to turn into a book of woe (my first 10-15 dives were mostly about having problems). Now that things are going better, I make a note of anything that went horribly wrong -- concentrating on why, and what I'm going to do differently next time.

Likewise, when I started, there was space for the names of all the fish I recognised (about three). Now I stick to the highlights. I'm also trying to make notes about the general environment, but I find that harder.

What do you record?

Zept

Less than you, just date, depth, time, location. Used to put details but not worth the trouble now.

Tom

Thanks Dee. I remembered the do you/don't you question, but I'd forgotten there was so much detail in that thread. Should have looked first. Oops, sorry.

Z

This is probably obvious to most folks....but just recently, I've started writing down the group I did the dive with and who my buddy was.

I did it because I found I had to really think to remember who was with me on my first few logged dives....I figured it would be worse not better if I didn't start jotting it down.

I record names... if I know them. I am embarrassed to admit that last time I was on holiday, I dived with a very nice woman who was a great buddy... and I never found out her name. The DM put us together at the last minute.

The other thing I learnt on that trip is that when there are 30 people on the boat, you need to take a long hard look at your buddy's wetsuit and fins before you jump into the water, so you can find them again. Not something I put in my log, though!

Z

I guess the easiest way to answer this one is to upload an image of my log page.. sometimes I fill it out in detail - usually just a dozen or so items.
Here's the front:

And here's the back
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom