What do you put it all in?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have two Akona duffle bags with holes worn in bottoms from dragging around airport ck in lines. Decided I wanted a rolling steamer trunk like I saw at the lds but when I looked at the triple digit price I went straight to walmart and for $36.00 bought the biggest wheeled suitcase they had and put dive decals all over it and Voila! It does take up a lot of space on a dive boat but I fit both my sons and my own gear in it and if the boat is crowded then it can always be rolled back to the car after unloading. We keep our free PADI tote bag on the boat for dry storage,energy bars ,water,meds,wallet etc. and it has handy pockets for camera etc..
However the wheels don't work so well in rough terrain, I may have to contract out one of the Jeep guy's in the New England forum to help us with that!

jsmith89:
What do you all put everything in to carry it to a dive site especially a dive boat? I want to be able to carry my BP/W, Reg, Mask/fins/boots/hood/gloves, exposure suit, and all the other stuff. I was thinking of maybe using one of those rubber maid containers with a lid but was thinking it may be to big for a boat. Want to get everyone else's opinions on what works the best.

-Jacobi

For boat dives I use a mesh dive bag... NO ROOM for a tub on boats...
However, for local, out of the car, quarry diving... I do use a rubbermaid tub to put my gear in... The tub also helps keep your trunk dry for the trip home... Forget the lid though... At least for me, my lid doesn't fit when all my gear is in it... Perhaps it would work if I got a bigger tub though huh? :icon_idea
Besides... it's always fun getting new scuba toys... including bags to carry gear...

Karen

Single day trip on boats I use a big mesh bag. Multi-day boat trips get the Tilos wheeled bag. Bungied to the aft cabin opposite my tank bungied to the gunnel side makes it easy to work out of for misc. equipment.

If I’m driving the gear goes in the back in a small laundry basket in reverse order of process with everything else like tanks, fish ID books, towels, beach mat & chair, cooler and gallons of water are scattered around my small car. :D I put a SUV type rubber liner in the back of my car, not enough vertical space for a tub and the laundry basket contains the sopping wet stuff nicely. Sure do miss my truck.

If I’m a passenger, be it on board a boat or vehicle, I have to lug and heave it so pare things down considerably, although no one would call me a minimalist. Same dive gear goes into a Campmore mesh bag ($12.00 5 years ago) same way as in the basket, and the rest (towel, spares kit, snacks, fluid etc) go into a water proof carryall. When I boat dive weights and tanks are usually provided. So if not, such as riding with another diver, weights go into a bag and are another load to carry with tanks.

I guess it depends on the boat but the ones I’ve been on; a tub would be hard to transfer on board and have to sit out in the middle of the floor. This stuff weighs enough already and don’t want to add a heavy bag either. I figure if I can’t carry my own gear I’m not in good enough shape to be diving.
I thought a backpack would be a good idea but all of mine have been well used and no longer waterproof enough for other people to sit down in my space and drain all over it. I also got a small Otter case for the Cell phone, land camera and sunglasses after a 300# (at least) fellow sat on my backpack sitting as a place holder on the bench over my dive gear bag on the floor.
The gear bag can get tossed around and other bags like those suitcase types tossed on top. I have an AI computer with transmitter always attached so if I’m concerned it goes it in the carryall but usually just tucked into the BC.

i have been on some of the dive boats in moorehead city. i always use a tub that i got at walwart. it is 15" tall and is 18gallons in size. it fits perfectly under the seats on the boats around here. i also use it in maryland/deleware when we go wreck diving on the local boats. a lot of the people around here use plastic tubs. my normal dive partner uses a dive bag and his stuff is always wet as soon as we leave the dock from the waves splashing up the side and onto his gear. my stuff is dry till the end of the trip when i put all my wet stuff into the tub and take it home in the truck witch stays dry since it is in a solid rubber tub.

a mesh duffle on a boat.

BUT, i always take my stanley wheeled tool chest (with dive stickers on!) to put the duffle in in the back of my car so the carpet doesn't get wet. and it's what i use if shore or back-of-car diving. about $50 at lowe's - two fairly big wheels, a steel u-shaped collapsible handle, one tier, and a big big inside. everything fits in it except a tank. i love it - can ya tell?

Back
Top Bottom