What do you see happening with the sport of diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to do ~50m/150ft air dives with my buddy. We even used stage cylinders and did decompression. It was a great adventurous project. Two years later I had the money for deco and extended range certification. If you want to be certified for something fun you don't just need the skill. You need thousands for the incremental certifications. Who has this much money? A middle aged employed person. The market leaders probably want to make the certifications they sell obligatory.

I must add that we did not do our dives unprepared. Lots of reading and practice and serious planning was involved. The challenge made it fun.

You already need a permit to go hiking in the wilderness

You need a permit for walking?

Last edited:
Evolve into what? Evolution implies some selective advantage over the previous iteration

Dunno... but the answer is "find-outable" if anyone is interested.

Since 1943 skiing has evolved through 5-6 iterations. From "only for the money'ed elite" to being the providence of "the extraordinarily coordinated and extremely fit" to something that is "fun for the whole family." I'm not saying that's the specific answer for diving... but the mantra of "evolve or die" is apt.

Hey Mike -- Looks like we're neighbors. What a difference personal perspective makes. I fell off diving for the past 3 years but now my interest is surging again thanks in part to the decade-overdue appearance of an actual dive shop in DC. For me, having an LDS where I can drop in, get advice, get gear serviced and just talk about diving without having to slog to Virginia makes a huge difference. On Friday the place was bustling with new students. So from where I'm standing the state of the industry seems great. But of course this is probably less about the state of the sport and more about the changing demographics of our particular city.

Dunno... but the answer is "find-outable" if anyone is interested.

Since 1943 skiing has evolved through 5-6 iterations. From "only for the money'ed elite" to being the providence of "the extraordinarily coordinated and extremely fit" to something that is "fun for the whole family." I'm not saying that's the specific answer for diving... but the mantra of "evolve or die" is apt.

Good point, different skis, different cuts, different lengths, easier turning, easier for beginners, snowboards!! Different clothes, Gore-Tex, synthetic insulation, fleece. Easier skiing for less skilled individuals and greater comfort for the conditions. What has scuba done? Scuba dive computers, nitrox, better wetsuits and drysuits...

Reactions: RJP
[h=2]What do you see happening with the sport of diving?[/h]I want to start a discussion about what's going on with our sport in general.

I, personally, would be interested to learn what people would prefer happen to recreational scuba—you know, the obvious follow-up question to the op.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Good point, different skis, different cuts, different lengths, easier turning, easier for beginners, snowboards!! Different clothes, Gore-Tex, synthetic insulation, fleece. Easier skiing for less skilled individuals and greater comfort for the conditions. What has scuba done? Scuba dive computers, nitrox, better wetsuits and drysuits...

Exactly! It used to be hard to turn effectively. Shaped skis made it so that anyone can turn easily. And when "anyone" can ski... EVERYONE can ski.

Scuba has had no such innovation that has radically, and fundamentally changed diving since the introduction of the demand valve regulator.

And I'm not saying that a dramatic gear change is necessary - or even possible - but scuba needs to evolve in some way. Hell, at the same time that ski gear changed we've also seen ski resorts add tubing, and slope-side shopping, and restaurants, and bars, and music festivals, and hot tubs, and many other innovations that have broadened and deepened the appeal of skiing.

Why does scuba need to change? We now have very powerful scooters, electric heaters, dry suits we can piss through, soft and flexible wetsuits, light weight and comfortable masks, inexpensive, tiny, high definition video cameras, computers that tell us all kinds of information, carbon fiber swim fins, compact, super efficient LED lights, gloves made of plastics that are tougher than kevlar and regulators made of freaking titanium.

I'm not convinced that changes in scuba gear are going to make a big difference in the popularity of scuba diving. look at freediving.. that industry is experiencing tremendous growth.

This is a very interesting thread. I think I wanted to become a diver since the first time I put on a a mask and snorkel. My oldest son has no interest in diving, but thankfully my middle and youngest can't wait to become certified divers. When we signed my middle son up for dive instruction we brought the subject up to his scout troop. No other scouts were even remotely interested in even trying out diving in a pool. I showed them pictures I have taken and tried to sell the experience to them and I felt like I was talking to a wall. Most of my coworkers think diving sounds cool. I then proceeded to tell them the dive shop that use will let you try out diving for free in there pool to see if you might like it, I have not gotten any takers yet. So I have no idea where the lack of interest in diving comes from. I don't buy the money thing at all, people are spending the money anyway. I see vehicles all around with new plates from dealers, Every time I go into a bike shop there is a line of 3K to 4K dollar bicycles waiting to be delivered. This past winter snowmobile dealers could keep sleds in stock, a decent sled will cost close to 10K and many people are purchasing two plus a trailer. Skiing was mentioned earlier, this is no more inexpensive than SCUBA. Yes SCUBA training and gear does cost some money but once you have all your gear it can actually be inexpensive to dive. I figure a day of diving costs me under twenty dollars, two $5 air fills, and pitch in for fuel (we almost always carpool). I see diving as an inexpensive activity when you look at the big picture.

I'm not convinced that changes in scuba gear are going to make a big difference in the popularity of scuba diving. look at freediving.. that industry is experiencing tremendous growth.

That's my point. Since the gear ain't gonna change the sport, something else needs to in order to broaden appeal.

Speaking from a commercial perspective. As a diver, I love empty boats, half-vacant resorts, and fire-sale gear pricing. It's just not a sustainable proposition long-term.

Hey Mike -- Looks like we're neighbors. What a difference personal perspective makes. I fell off diving for the past 3 years but now my interest is surging again thanks in part to the decade-overdue appearance of an actual dive shop in DC. For me, having an LDS where I can drop in, get advice, get gear serviced and just talk about diving without having to slog to Virginia makes a huge difference. On Friday the place was bustling with new students. So from where I'm standing the state of the industry seems great. But of course this is probably less about the state of the sport and more about the changing demographics of our particular city.

LaFlaneur,

Good to hear there is a shop in D.C., and they are getting students. I have three shops within about 20 minutes of me, only one shop really wanted to engage the customer and talk about scuba they way you describe. When I travel and end up in different shops, that is more the reception I have seen. Engaging the customers not just to sell but actually find out what type of diving they like and does it fit with the shop.
We may have the real estate issue, it is all about location and we are not in the right one. Our options are limited to Dutch Springs which is very pricey in my opinion for diving, head to the coast or quaries in cold water, or the Chesapeake (brackish water and pollution). Instead, I fly to Key Largo and hit the wrecks and reefs.
I hope you get back in the water soon.

MIke

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom