What do you take with you when you dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Curious as why the restriction on gloves?
The theory is that if a diver is wearing gloves they are less likely to think twice about touching stuff. That sharp looking peice of coral/wreck doesn't look as apealling when your NOT wearing a layer of kevlar on ur fingertips :eyebrow:

Back to the topic, I take:

DSMB
Reel
Knife
Slate
Torch
Tank Banger
Watch
Camera

for me? besides dive comp, preasure gauge, compass,

Glove (although you're more likely to touch corals, you're protected against those sharps ones)
Flat head Diving knife
Camera
Slate
Tank Banger
Diver Sausage (i call them this. is the red ballon longated shaped usually to alert surface people)
and a reel of strings.

CaptSaaz:
Curious as why the restriction on gloves? I have dove only a dozen times but always want something protecting my hands. The regulation states, "To carry gloves or knives". I won't be carrying them, I'll be wearing them!

That's the point. You might feel safer grabbing onto something to balance or stabilize yourself. Grabbing live coral is VERY damaging to the reef. In Cozumel, which has extremely heavy diving traffic, multiply your damaging touch with the thousands of others also touching.......
They WANT you to be afraid to touch.

When I went diving in Costa Maya, I was told I couldn't take a knife or wear gloves.

I took a pair of scissors, and no one objected to that. A cutting tool is an essential piece of diving equipment; It bothers me when they forbid a diver from having a knife.

I have almost a phobia against touching corals, but I like to have gloves. Once in a surge I was banged up against a sharp rock and cut myself--it was in South Africa, too, and I didn't care for that blood trailing around behind me. I wished I had worn my gloves. Now I usually just tuck them in my BC pocket, just in case conditions warrant wearing them.

What "extras" do I take besides my cutting tool? Not a lot--I hate being laden with stuff. But I have a safety sausage on a D-ring; a whistle on my inflator hose; and a small slate in my BC pocket.

I often take other people diving.... :)

In terms of gear conditions determine the need. I believe in keeping things to a minimum so I think about it on every dive and just take what I need.

In terms of local conditions I carry 2 lights and a knife on most dives. To me the knife is essential and I wouldn't dream of diving without it.

At night or when assisting I use a strobe attached to my back so people can see who I am from behind.

I usually have a wetnotes in my pocket and I'll use slates (usually write down some profile scenarios), DSMB's and reels when wreck diving on the North Sea.

R..

Mike Veitch:
First and foremost, a camera!

I've not heard of anywhere not allowing a knife. I have one (the Remora) permanently strapped to my low pressure inflator hose. Works well as a tank banger too.

Lake Rawlings in central VA does not allow knives... some idiots cut through all the floats.

WARNING! Dive knives are banned beyond the chain gate leading to the lake. A land violation carries a $150.00 fine; A diving violation carries a $300.00 fine. PLEASE DO NOT BE CAUGHT BRANDISHING OR CARRYING A DIVE KNIFE into the lake. We will have no choice but to issue a violation.

from http://www.lakerawlings.com/scubadiving/index.htm

Norboo:
I hear most places do not allow you to take a knife. What do you take? Shear? Something along the lines of Leatherman?

What else do you take with you when you dive?

Pony (3ltr side mounted AAS)
Compass
Dive timer, in case of computer failure
dSMB and reel
spare dSMB and pocket reel
airgun attachment, for inflating dSMB
whistle
strobe
small torch for day dives
larger torch (as well as small torch) for night/low vis dives
spare mask
net cutter (instead of a knife)