What do you think of cave/cavern diving?

What do you think of cave/cavern diving?

• Too dark, too dangerous, no way.

Votes: 14 8.0%
  • Why would you dive to look at rocks and mud?

Votes: 23 13.2%
  • I'd do caverns, but not full cave penetration.

Votes: 33 19.0%
  • It is challenging and exciting.

Votes: 77 44.3%
  • I am only happy when wedged in a deep dark hole.

Votes: 27 15.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But I recall in Gary Gentile's book him saying despite the great fear wreck divers have of getting lost inside, in reality only on a tiny minority of wrecks can you find yourself more than 200 feet from an exit.

Doesn't matter how close you are to the exit if you're lost and can't find it.

:shakehead:

Same can be said for the cave. One careless diver can cause a silt out that will cause zero viz in the whole system. Lost is lost and that would be a bad feeling.

I love reef diving. I'm fascinated by the variety of shapes and colors and survival strategies of the things beneath the water. We have the most amazing invertebrate life in Puget Sound, and some spectacular topography.

But if I could move to Mexico, I would. Diving in the caves is utterly addictive. After my first cenote tours, I wrote this:

On this dive, I had a feeling I recognized from years ago, when I did a lot of higher mathematics. I felt as though I'd been transported out of myself, literally exalted and utterly joyful, aware of my skin all the way to my fingertips and totally in the moment. It was the most exquisite and intense pleasure I've had diving, and it was composed in part of the utter clarity of the water, the incredible beauty of the surroundings, and the complete peace of the place. Reef diving is visually and kinesthetically busy -- Life and water in constant motion, demanding your attention in every direction. The caves are meditative and internal, and I felt as though time dilated and even my heartbeat was slowed. I had some of the same reaction to floating between the walls of two billion year old rock, deep in the Grand Canyon, but this was ever so much stronger. This was truly a drug, and I will do whatever I need to do for another dose of it.

I haven't changed my mind, except to discover that it's even more fun as the technical challenges involved get more absorbing.

I had zero interest in caves or caverns when I first got certified but after diving the cenotes in Mexico in August 2008 and again in January 2009, I am addicted.

The stalagmites and stalactite are majestic and simply breathtaking. Floating along side them, it's difficult to describe the overwhelming feeling of awe at these great giants formed over hundreds and thousands of years.

I'm learning to dive doubles and taking Adv Nitrox/Deco Procedures now so that I can take Intro Cave/Cavern next year in Florida. I love to move to Mexico but for now will visit as much as my wallet will allow which sadly is not often enough for me. :depressed:

Some day, many many years from now I'd love to try. However, I'm more interested in wreck penetration (plus I'm unlikely to be living anywhere where there are caves).

I don't know if it really is all that unsafe for people who are properly trained an not doing something stupid while in there. Obviously, there are some inherent risks not having a direct ascent to the surface, but it's not like cave divers are dropping off left and right: it seems most of the cave deaths are by people who had no business entering them. I'm not sure if there are any statistics on this, but the sense I get from reading various articles is that a death of a properly trained cave diver not trying to push some limits or whatever is relatively rare. Honestly I'm much more afraid of rebreathers, as much as they fascinate me.

True, but to put it in context, the books says (I paraphrase): "If you think you are lost, remember that even in a really big ship you are rarely ever going to be more than 200 feet from an exit, which is about a 1 minute swim. So don't panic - you have time to solve the problem."

Actually there are stats for this. The NSS-CDS and NACD both have records of all cave fatalities going back to I believe 1969 ish. They broke down everything about the accident from age to cert level to sex. Sadly in most cases of divers who were certified it was human error that led to their death. There is always an exception in all diving. If you dont believe Murphy's law can show up at any time then i would not go cave diving..

Some day, many many years from now I'd love to try. However, I'm more interested in wreck penetration (plus I'm unlikely to be living anywhere where there are caves).

I don't know if it really is all that unsafe for people who are properly trained an not doing something stupid while in there. Obviously, there are some inherent risks not having a direct ascent to the surface, but it's not like cave divers are dropping off left and right: it seems most of the cave deaths are by people who had no business entering them. I'm not sure if there are any statistics on this, but the sense I get from reading various articles is that a death of a properly trained cave diver not trying to push some limits or whatever is relatively rare. Honestly I'm much more afraid of rebreathers, as much as they fascinate me.

True, but to put it in context, the books says (I paraphrase): "If you think you are lost, remember that even in a really big ship you are rarely ever going to be more than 200 feet from an exit, which is about a 1 minute swim. So don't panic - you have time to solve the problem."

That is not always the case. There can be walls, hatches, restrictions, danglies, and silt between you and that exit ... and that's not nearly a complete list of the things that can slow you down and turn you around.

And that assumes you know which way to swim. Remember, compasses don't work in there ... and it's real easy to get turned around if you don't pay attention. The exit may be 50 feet away from you ... and you turn the wrong way and 10 minutes later it's 100 feet away from you.

I'm surprised that someone with Gentile's reputation would make a statement like that ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You know thats the second time I have heard that :rofl3:

Admit it, it's really a desire to return to the womb.

Back
Top Bottom