What do you think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharpenu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have been trying for years to convince the fire department I work for to begin water rescue. All we have currently is a few throw bags. They do not want a dive team, because according to them, dive teams are only for body recovery. So, I was thinking of trying this 1 step at a time. I want to start here:

http://www.browniespublicsafety.com/RES.shtm

Thoughts? We could use these for rapid RESCUE, then after a couple of years, we could do more. What about SOG's. So far the only ones I have seen posted here are more like by-laws for a volunteer force than actual operating guidelines. Any helpl would be appreciated.

From looking at the unit on the internet, I can see some benefit for "TRAINED" personnel over doing breath holding searches. From my experience in dealing with volunteer firefighters, if the equipment becomes available and the happened to "watch a video", they are now become a diving expert. Personnel need trained on the unit, proven proficiency, and access provided only to those personnel.

Since PSD happens in mostly unknown waters, I am always alert to entanglements. If that would occur with this unit, there better be a dive team in route as a back up, with just having the the mini bottle on this unit.

Third, it is not a full size bottle and seems as though it should be limited to shallow depths.

Finally, what are the reasons given for not wanting to start a dive team? Funding? Lack of knowledge? Fear of the unknown? Overlapping capabilities with mutual agencies? Lack of hazards?

Good luck.

Dan

We are a full time professional fire department, all firefighters are also cross trained as EMT's or Paramedics. We have 84 firefighters, there are about 20 of us dive certified to OW, and out of them perhaps 10 are Rescue and 2 of us that I know of are master divers. Out of that group, 5 or 6 of us are also certified as PSD's.

The rapid entry system is how I am hoping to get the foot in the door for a full team, by saying that we need back up for the RES team. In the beginning, I was thinking of using a primary rescuer and a secondary (stand by) diver, both with shore lines. We do not have swift water in the area, and the majority of the water around here is less than 20 feet in depth.

Our department used to have a dive team , but it was disbanded over 10 years ago, for the Sheriff to run one. That one was shut down 3 years ago, so now the nearest dive team is 30 miles away. The opposition says that all a dive team is good for is body recovery, and it is therefore a waste of time and resources.

So, I try to do this one step at a time. I have just about convinced the chief to buy in on the RES idea.

Sadly to say some dive programs have been created after the death of a firefghter who did his best but was not well equiped. I hope that doesn't happen and good luck in your efforts.

I don't know what that unit costs but Knowing how overpriced most of this stuff is you might be able to get into good standard SCUBA gear a lot cheaper with a lot less training.

Gary D.

sharpenu:
I have just about convinced the chief to buy in on the RES idea.

I have a friend who is a Lieutenant on the Baytown Fire and Rescue Service (large professional department). They use this system. Let me know if it would help, and I will put you in contact.

For the political reasons previously stated, regular scuba gear is out. That would look too much like a dive team. Remember, baby steps. The setup there is around $900 each. The advantage to them is they are small and one could easily be placed on each engine. SOG's could then require a 2 engine dispatch to each water incident.

Remember, when the frontal assault doesnt work, outflank em. Ive tried the dive team angle for almost 6 years now, no dice. Time to switch tactics.

Back
Top Bottom