What do you use against sea sickness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hahahaha... this has become my consistent pre-dive routine. Literally before every dive. It's the right balance of hearty yet small, easy to digest, solid carbs & protein. Funny thing is I literally never eat fast food otherwise, except for that pre-dive sausage & egg mcmuffin.
Oh me neither. I never go near McDonald's, except on the morning before a dive LOL.

Anyone here with glaucoma? What do you use?

Oh me neither. I never go near McDonald's, except on the morning before a dive LOL.

Good God, that would sit in my stomach like a brick! :vomit:

My pre-dive breakfast is either 1-2 of those soft fruit and grain cereal bars or a grocery store bagel (the ones sold in the bread aisle) and a banana.

IIRC Zophran is an anti-emetic. That is, designed to stop the puking, which is a significant part of motion sickness but not enough to make a sick person "functional" again in all cases. I haven't heard of it being used by any government agency for the purpose, but then again, I haven't spoken to the Surgeon General lately.(G)

For glaucoma, scop would be contraindicated. I think the only safe way to even consider it, would be to see your opthamologist first thing in the morning, then take the drug, and have them literally check your eye pressure every couple of hours. And that's still problematic, since you can't "un-dose" after you've taken it, so they'd simply have to give you a med to lower eye pressure if they saw an adverse reaction. IOW, not a really great idea.

The electric relief band has NO complications like that. Can be turned off instantly.

https://smile.amazon.com/Reliefband...ons&ref=sr_1_1_sspa&psc=1&smid=A2KAOL6SMEUIZT

On Amazon it is about $100 now, $175 for a USB-rechargeable model that is more waterproof. And there is another company (Emeterm) apparently selling what they claim to be similar device, USB rechargeable, at the same $100 price as the older Reliefband. Isn't cheap, no. Unless you compare it to five or ten years of buying prescription meds, and all the fun side effects. Mine is on the shot list of "Gear you'll have to pry out of my cold dead hands if you want it."
OK, it isn't as convenient as "just pop a pill". And it needs to be left on the boat, dry-ish. But, no side-effects and an on-off switch sort of balance all that out.(G)

For glaucoma, scop would be contraindicated. I think the only safe way to even consider it, would be to see your opthamologist first thing in the morning, then take the drug, and have them literally check your eye pressure every couple of hours. And that's still problematic, since you can't "un-dose" after you've taken it, so they'd simply have to give you a med to lower eye pressure if they saw an adverse reaction. IOW, not a really great idea.

Everybody I speak to says this, blanket "never with glaucoma", yet what I read suggests it is only contraindicated for acute angle which is supposedly a small proportion of cases.

Do you have glaucoma? I am looking for direct experiences - it is not practical for me to visit my ophthalmologist just to ask this question, but I am curious for my future reference.

FWIW, I already use drops to lower my pressure, as I suspect many / most with glaucoma also do.

No direct experience, but I would hope your doctor has the professionalism and courtesy to at least answer a fax or letter asking "Do you know if it would be safe for me to use this medicine?" That shouldn't require an examination, or a formal consult.

As to the different types of glaucoma, I'd say to check it out online. There are usually detail available from the drug maker, as well as from reputable institutions (not just life-style sites) that will go into the details.

Good God, that would sit in my stomach like a brick!
I don't know why, but a sausage & egg mcmuffin seems to have just the right amount of protein and carbs for me before a dive. Between dives I'll eat some fruit and maybe some peanut butter crackers.

But I'm always starving LOL.

No direct experience, but I would hope your doctor has the professionalism and courtesy to at least answer a fax or letter asking "Do you know if it would be safe for me to use this medicine?" That shouldn't require an examination, or a formal consult.

As to the different types of glaucoma, I'd say to check it out online. There are usually detail available from the drug maker, as well as from reputable institutions (not just life-style sites) that will go into the details.
Thank you, but as I said I am looking for direct experiences.

I am not inclined to bother my doctor just to satisfy my curiosity until I have a regularly scheduled visit.

I could tell you what the dispensaries around here recommend, but I’m pretty sure it would not blend well with diving.
LOL. Kind of misses the point then eh? :)

FWIW, I have only ever been seasick once in my life anyway - and that from breathing diesel exhaust washing back onto the deck of the boat.

Back
Top Bottom