Votes: 19 20.7%
  • Back inflation BC only

Votes: 32 34.8%
  • Drysuit only no BC

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

debdiver:
Drysuit only, no BC is not quite a valid option, is it? You must mean for UNDERWATER.

I use my drysuit underwater and my back inflated BC on the surface. I don't see that as an option.

Also, is this poll only for drysuit users?

Not to hijack the thread, but Deb - would you care to explain for us why you only use the BC on the surface?

Personally, like many others on here, I believe a drysuit is for dryness, and a Bouyancy Compensator is to assist in compensating for bouyancy, but I'd like to hear from someone who doesn't do that as to their rationale why.

I always used to use my BC for buoyancy control at depth, but I've switched up a bit since I started using Weezle Extremes for underwear. I'll put a bit of air in the wing upon first descent, but once I get down about 15' or so I mainly use my suit.

I need to keep a fair bit of loft in the suit to stay warm this time of year, and my trilam exhausts air very effectively if I just raise my left elbow while horizontal. I'd never really considered using my suit for control as much as I do now, but it is working well. Once the summer and warmer temps return, I expect I'll stop using as much gas in my suit, and use the wing more for control.

I dive a Bare trilam and an OMS b/p + 60# wing ( no bungies ), so far I really like OMS' gear, but time will tell....

Boogie711:
Not to hijack the thread, but Deb - would you care to explain for us why you only use the BC on the surface?

Personally, like many others on here, I believe a drysuit is for dryness, and a Bouyancy Compensator is to assist in compensating for bouyancy, but I'd like to hear from someone who doesn't do that as to their rationale why.

Hi Boogie711,

I am a recreational diver, ONLY. I’ve stayed away from tech diving for a reason, because it does not interest me. I’ve been diving a lot longer than the current tech fad/rise in popularity/what ever you want to call it. I’m also not getting any younger and with two knee injuries, I’m happy to still be doing shore entries in cold water at all!! That’s great for those that are into the new tech thing, great. Have fun!! I’m always into hearing new stories. But I’ll stick with recreational diving for myself.

I dive both wet and dry, and in both circumstances, I wear the same back-inflated BC. I’m not buying another tank/wing whatever set up for just my dry suit. Unless I see a huge improvement, which I have not, I’m very happy and comfortable with the gear I’ve got.

UNDERWATER:
If you are putting any air into your dry suit, while underwater, that air is still contributing to your buoyancy; even if it’s just a little to get rid of the squeeze. I chose to make it simple and JUST use my dry suit for buoyancy underwater. It’s easier. I may or may not wear ankle weights, doesn’t matter, I’ve still got my buoyancy down; I’ve been diving dry so long, it’s second nature to use ONLY the suit underwater for buoyancy. (If it’s not broke, why fix it?)

I have dove with other recreational divers that will use both their BC and dry suit for buoyancy underwater. It seemed to me, they were just not accustomed to their dry suits yet and most likely never will be unless they let go of using the BC underwater. They also seemed more awkward to me. Not sure if the awkward was the diver or the gear, but I’m comfortable with what I do, and I’m not about to TRY to mimic those awkward guys. (why?)

I’ve also been diving with a recreational diver that wore some tech thing of which I cannot describe or remember what he called it. All I know is, I remember thinking I was happy with what gear I had and was not compelled to look into what the heck he was doing.

ON THE SURFACE:
Have you ever had your dry suit inflated while on the surface? Uncomfortable at best, a DRAG and/or pass out hazard at worst. I choose to use my BC.

OLD SCHOOL DIVERS:
Well, they have every right to dive with out a BC if they chose. Great for them. I’m not impressed with doing some thing JUST BECAUSE it’s old school. If there is a logical reason, great, I’ll listen to their reason. But just to say some thing is old school isn’t enough for me. For that matter, if the “old school” wanted to get out their old BC’s with those cute exploding CO2 cartridges, those things to help them surface, just let the rest of us know, so we can keep our distances. My brother has been diving since 1970. I get the “old school” #$%& from him on occasion. And you know what, I was FINALLY able to get him into some “new” gear about 5 or 6 years ago. (one piece back zip 7mm and back inflated BC.) He could not BELIEVE how much better he liked his new gear. He still has his 1970 ScubaPro regulator!! That thing is almost as old as I am, and it still works like a CHARM, so I’m not arguing that with him. But that’s a whole other thread. :wink:

debdiver:
Hi Boogie711,

I am a recreational diver, ONLY. I’ve stayed away from tech diving for a reason, because it does not interest me. I’ve been diving a lot longer than the current tech fad/rise in popularity/what ever you want to call it. I’m also not getting any younger and with two knee injuries, I’m happy to still be doing shore entries in cold water at all!! That’s great for those that are into the new tech thing, great. Have fun!! I’m always into hearing new stories. But I’ll stick with recreational diving for myself.

I dive both wet and dry, and in both circumstances, I wear the same back-inflated BC. I’m not buying another tank/wing whatever set up for just my dry suit. Unless I see a huge improvement, which I have not, I’m very happy and comfortable with the gear I’ve got.

UNDERWATER:
If you are putting any air into your dry suit, while underwater, that air is still contributing to your buoyancy; even if it’s just a little to get rid of the squeeze. I chose to make it simple and JUST use my dry suit for buoyancy underwater. It’s easier. I may or may not wear ankle weights, doesn’t matter, I’ve still got my buoyancy down; I’ve been diving dry so long, it’s second nature to use ONLY the suit underwater for buoyancy. (If it’s not broke, why fix it?)

I have dove with other recreational divers that will use both their BC and dry suit for buoyancy underwater. It seemed to me, they were just not accustomed to their dry suits yet and most likely never will be unless they let go of using the BC underwater. They also seemed more awkward to me. Not sure if the awkward was the diver or the gear, but I’m comfortable with what I do, and I’m not about to TRY to mimic those awkward guys. (why?)

Deb - I'm not attacking or dismissing. But the question isn't about BP/Wings or BC's - it's why you use a drysuit underwater when you're wearing a BC. That's all.

As near as I can figure out, your answer is simply "it's easier." I'm not trying to be a moron here, just understanding the logic. Is that correct?

Cant really answer the poll as my choices dont fit.

I spent all last year using my drysuit only. This year im experimenting using the BC for buoyancy with some squeeze removal in the suit.
In practice im finding no squeeze is just about neutral anyway so BC needs very little air but you need to add "Both BC and Drysuit" as an option.

Boogie711:
As near as I can figure out, your answer is simply "it's easier." I'm not trying to be a moron here, just understanding the logic. Is that correct?

Correct. :D

Actually, I'm not sure WHY anyone would use their BC if they had on a drysuit.

I just started diving dry and have found that if I am properly weighted I only have to add enough air in my dry suit at depth to avoid squeeze and that keeps me nuetral. I don't even touch my BC because I don't have to, unless I am at the surface. Granted, I am diving singles and not going very deep. Strictly recreational thus far. I assume that might change if I go towards the tech end of diving...

debdiver:
Correct. :D

Actually, I'm not sure WHY anyone would use their BC if they had on a drysuit.

Dynamic instability. I use my BC for its intended purpose, and my drysuit for it's intended purpose. I try to avoid substituting "easy" for "skills." :wink:

Just riding on you Deb. It's much easier to maintain proper trim and bouyancy when you're not riding a giant bubble in your suit. I never understood why PADI and the others teach you to use your drysuit for bouyancy underwater - their excuse is that it reduces taskloading. I maintain if you can't taskload one inflator on a wing and one on a drysuit, you shouldn't be in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom