What do you wear over your swimsuit on a dive boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it's hot and I really want no extra clothes/warmth but a just a little less revealing bottoms, I wear dark colored running shorts (slightly oversize) over my swim suit. They absorb virtually no water, sweat or dirt and make you feel like you've got on clothes. The shorts also have an inner "pant" so it's not like going commando if you ditch the wet swimsuit after your dive.

didn't read all the responses, so sorry if this has been mentioned.

try some quick dry board shorts. they will cover like your cutoffs, but they dry in a few minutes out of the water.

Birdwells are one of the best, if you can still find them.

as mentioned, depends on conditions and type of boat. on smaller boats you might be more exposed so i usually pack a light gortex jacket. more than once people have looked at me enviously. i always bring a sarong. it is so versatile. if you interval on an island you can sit/lie on it. use it cover your shoulders if the sun is catching up with you, etc. i have a decent sized cotton one i picked up in bali a few years ago and i take that thing on every trip. if you are wearing full wetsuit, it's probably easier just to leave it on and peel off the top, but a shorty always seems like no big deal to get on an off. i still bring shorts, but they are that yoga pant type material so they are comfy, but dry reasonably quick.

If I am truly cold, I will wear a boat coat. If I just wanted to slightly cover up, then I would wrap a beach towel around my waist. I will change out of my suit and into my jeans with the towel around my waist to avoid scaring the locals.

PS - life is sometimes easier if you are a guy !!!

Dsix36, yes, indeed, having one of "those" is a pretty handy thing to have on a picnic . . . but then that's a completely different subject. :wink:

I wear nylon shorts, like jogging shorts with a liner, and a safari shirt. Easy to change out of and even if they are wet you don't get that clammy feeling you get from cotton. Also, I take my wet suit off during the SI and wrap a towel around my waist. I stay warmer than leaving it on. It all depends on the boat and the weather. If it is in a really warm climate and a small boat I will leave my wet suit on from the waist down and wait until I get back to shore to change.

What I wear depends on the weather - cold water/weather I'm in a boat coat and whatever else I need to stay warm. If it's warm water/weather, I'm typically in a dive skin because I'm blindingly white and need the sun protection. :D As to my feet , I'm in my dive boots unless we're headed back in and I'll put on whatever shoes that I'm comfortable in or barefoot.

How did I miss this? Oh I know! I was on a boat for a week at the time this first came up!

I have several gauzy pull-over-the-head dresses that I slip on over swimwear, and I carry dry swimsuits/undies along with me to change out of between dives if the SI is going to be more than an hour and I don't want to sit around in wet stuff. It's easy enough with two piece suits to take off the wet bottoms once the dress is on and slip the dry ones on. Pop the wet stuff into a plastic bag, and you're good to go. Same method with dry undies for the return van ride. Commando works, too, but then you have to put an icky wet pair of bottoms back on (and they twist/require tugging, which can be rather awkward) for any subsequent dive you do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom