What do you wear under a wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I prefer board shorts to something more form-fitting such as jammers, Speedos, lycra, etc., if I'm going to be around others during a surface interval. If it's just me and dive buddies with no one else around I don't care so much.

Jammers and a Lycra skin. Board shorts bunch up. Lycra skin makes getting into the suit much easier and will act as a sun screen on the surface.

What do you wear under your wetsuit? . . . Do you wear your swim trunks? Trunks and a t-shirt? Rash guard shirt? Lycra thingy?
For bottoms, I wear cycling shorts. The are very close fitting, with elastic on the thigh openings so they don't roll up when I pull the wetsuit on. padding in the crotch, and their slick nylon exterior allows the wetsuit - going on and coming off - to slip over them very easily.

For a top, I wear a long sleeve Sharkskin Rapid Dry garment (Rapid Dry Long Sleeve - Sharkskin). It has a slick exterior so the wetsuit slips over it easily, is quite comfortable against my skin, provides sun protection between dives when I peel the top of the wetsuit down, and wisks dry quickly.

wow. this is a perennial favorite on scubaboard. If you are looking for swim briefs, water polo suits, squarelegs or jammers check out swimoutlet.com and check the sale or grab bag option (it is under your suit so who cares what it looks like). I swim competitively so I use my older swim briefs/squarelegs suits under my wetsuit. If modesty is an issue, try speedo surf runners, compression shorts designed to be worn as surf shorts or under board shorts. I also like the short (301) Birdwell beach britches (boardshorts) but these can be expensive and they are not lined (most true boardshorts are not).

You mean you guys actually wear something underneath? Hmmm, no wonder I got all those looks! Actually, I like wearing a skin, as if it is just too hot for the shorty or longy, I can just take the wetsuit off and dive with just the skins, as I just did in Cozumel this past week. With a water temp of 84-85*, I would have overheated wearing a wetsuit! Most of the other divers just wore a swim suit...the gals and the guys.

I dive on my own boat so I go commando, if I have buddies on the boat I warn them I'm dropping my pants (by yelling "balls out", because no one wants to turn around and see a big 'ol hairy moon without some warning). I don't care who sees me I'm not shy lol . If they complain they can swim home :wink:.

If you have a hard time getting in a wetsuit try bringing a plastic grocery bag and put it on your foot before you but your try to get in the leg hole it will slip right in.

I dive on my own boat so I go commando, if I have buddies on the boat I warn them I'm dropping my pants (by yelling "balls out", because no one wants to turn around and see a big 'ol hairy moon without some warning). I don't care who sees me I'm not shy lol . If they complain they can swim home :wink:.

If you have a hard time getting in a wetsuit try bringing a plastic grocery bag and put it on your foot before you but your try to get in the leg hole it will slip right in.

Hair conditioner works pretty well too....and you smell so nice for the first part of the dive. With the open cell suits used in free diving, if you don't use a lubricant, you CAN'T get the suit on without tearing it.

Re commando....yesterday it was a wet ride home with a north chop while coming into Sittee River so I left my wetsuit on. As we pulled into the river I was changing and the boys were laughing.....I thought it was at me...which doesn't matter....but they were laughing because another boat was coming up behind us with a drive and lady passenger. I noticed just as i was pulling up my dry shorts....Why doesnt' that ever happen to me? You know...beautiful model...changing as my boat is coming up behind her?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom