What do you wear under a wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know the speedo rule...if you can't see it, nobody else wants to either...

Hair conditioner usually contains silicone polymers and/or siloxanes. Those aren't biodegradable. And as a general rule, the cheaper the conditioner, the more silicone compounds you'll find in it.

I find it more than a little ironic that the freediver community - who on average are a lot more "green" and "natural" than the average scuba diver often uses cheap hair conditioner to lubricate their open-cell wetsuits to be able to don them without an inordinate amount of hassle.
10 Biodegradable Conditioners

Is your speedo biodegradeable?

Is your speedo biodegradeable?
Well... I don't usually rinse it off into the ocean during or after every dive, so I don't believe that's particularly important...

Well... I don't usually rinse it off into the ocean during or after every dive, so I don't believe that's particularly important...

Neither was your comment. You don't know what conditioner I use or how I rinse my wetsuits so why bother commenting?

You don't know what conditioner I use or how I rinse my wetsuits so why bother commenting?
Quite right, and I didn't comment specifically on the conditioner you use. I just pointed out that most conditioners - particularly the cheaper brands popular in the freediving community I know about - contain non-biodegradable silicones. IME far from everyone is aware of that fact.

Quite right, and I didn't comment specifically on the conditioner you use. I just pointed out that most conditioners - particularly the cheaper brands popular in the freediving community I know about - contain non-biodegradable silicones. IME far from everyone is aware of that fact.

Well, I don't know about the free dive community. I guess there are two schools. Ones who free dive for records, or just peaceful diving, and those who free dive to shoot fish. I belong to the latter group. And I probably burn about 60-80 liters of fossil fuel every time I go out. But I eat everything I shoot. Or give to friends or family.
And unless you live on a body of water, and it's the only place you dive, and use solar power to run the compressor filling your tanks, the amount of non biodegradable pollutants you produce to scuba dive greatly exceed the ounce? (diluted with water) of conditioner that the open cell wetsuit owners may use on a given day. What happens to your old wetsuits? Gloves? Regulator hoses? Speedos? Compressor oil?
A little off topic here, but you threw me off with your comments. I was in a bad mood already.....anyway, carry on.....

Rashguard shirt and compression shorts. Both aid in putting on and taking off the wetsuit, and add a layer of protection to myself and respect to other divers while I change into my wetsuit.

For the love of God, no tighty whities!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom