What Does Every Human Being Share?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't do Facebook ... I must not be human ...

---------- Post Merged at 06:59 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:58 AM ----------

Self-Preservation......

... so then why do so many people commit suicide?

---------- Post Merged at 07:00 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:58 AM ----------

imagination/creativity

Perhaps that explains why "reality" shows are so popular?

---------- Post Merged at 07:01 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:58 AM ----------

Denial and self-deception.

Most of us are very good at it ... but some folks seem to have a pretty good handle on reality ...

---------- Post Merged at 07:02 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:58 AM ----------

I believe that every human being, whether it be an Inuit in a tiny village in Alaska, a Polynesian on a remote Pacific island, a stock broker on Wall Street, an Islamic extremist in Yemen, a Mormon polygamist in a desert in Utah, shares an unshakable conviction that Starbucks charges way too much for a cup of coffee.

... and that the coffee is not only overpriced, but overroasted ...

---------- Post Merged at 07:03 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:58 AM ----------

Every human being is the repository of an irreducible dignity.

... you've obviously never watched Jerry Springer, or shopped at Walmart ...

---------- Post Merged at 07:06 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:58 AM ----------

Love of bacon.

Or sex.

But usually just bacon.

... unless you're muslim ... or kosher ...

---------- Post Merged at 07:07 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:58 AM ----------

The ability to Love :cupid:

... and the desire to be loved ...

---------- Post Merged at 07:09 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:58 AM ----------

Everyone shares the question....What is the purpose of life and why are we here?. ...by the way, if your looking for the answer its in God's Word (the Bible).

... the answer is all around you ... you don't need a book ...

---------- Post Merged at 07:11 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:58 AM ----------

every human being begins in water

... and then fertilization happens ...

---------- Post Merged at 07:12 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:58 AM ----------

Ability to love and be loved

... which explains why pets are so popular ... as long as you feed 'em, they love you ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Too long out of the water, Bob? A bit argumentative today.....:D

mitochondrial DNA (thanks, Mom!)

yeah and the bacon thing too.

The answer is all around you? Um...pretty sure God disagrees.

... and I'm pretty sure God doesn't care. If the answers to life are indeed to be found in a book that was written thousands of years ago by a bunch of nomadic savages, then historically we haven't done a very bang-up job of finding them.

But it does point to one thing that all humans seem to share ... the ability to find certainty in matters of faith ... which, when you think about it, is a contradiction of terms ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post Merged at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:04 PM ----------

Too long out of the water, Bob? A bit argumentative today.....:D

Oh goodness yes ... I had to cancel tonight's dive ... so now I've been out of the water since yesterday ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

do i get to post again ;D ?

in the history of the world,
from Plato to Aristotle
from Epicurus to the Stoics
from the Judeo-Christians
to the Buddhists
have all observed
which is that
the balance needed
for a happy life is illusory.

And as soon as