What does it usually cost to rent diving equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AmazonAquatics

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hello,
Ok, is it more cost effective to just buy your own equitment or to rent equitment? How much does it cost to rent equitment? Thank you

Depends upon where you live and how much you dive.

In our neck of the woods it'll cost anywhere from $30 to $50 to rent gear (reg, bc, wetsuit, wt.) for a weekend.

It's really one of those things which you can determine, given your particular financial position.

the K

Thanks for the reply. The reason that I ask is because I wanted to rent some gear and try it out so that I can decide on what I like and what works for me. In what order should I make my purchases (obvioulsy the personal gear should come first). Thank you

Well, just about any class you take will require that you own your mask, snorkel and fins . . . consider that a give.

My personal preference of the order in which gear should be purchased:

1: Thermal Protection
2: Buoyancy Compensation
3: Regualtors
4: Computer

Here's why:

1: Your thermal protection (wet suit, dry suit - whatever is required for your diving environment) will keep you warm. If you're trying to complete tasks while you're cold, you won't be concentrating on the task at hand because your COLD!!

Secondly, getting cold can bring about the onset of hypothermia - this is not a good thing.

If you get cold, you won't want to dive.

Your thermal protection is also a very critical piece of equipment when it comes to mastering buoyancy. Moving about different wet suits, etc., will keep you guessing as to how much weight to use, and so forth.

2: Your B/C, need less to say, plays a paramount role you mastering your buoyancy skills. Different B/C's have different levels of inherent buoyancy.

It also helps to know where all the needed knobs are when you need them. Using a myriad of different B/C's leads to confusion as to where certain things are. Having your own promotes the quick learing of locations of things on your rig. This is especiall important if an emergency arises.

Now, eliminating the adverse conditions of being cold, inherent differences in buoyancy from various combinations of thermal protection and B/C's helps you master your buoyancy control much, much, more quickly.

3: Regulators are next. While all regs don't breathe exactly the same, any reg will supply you with more than enough air during your dive, given we're talking about recreational diving.

Regulators can get pricey. But really good ones, with proper service, will last a lifetime.

4: Computers are nice, but not necessities. You probably did your training with an SPG, depth gauge and compass console. That setup can allow you to dive any dive you want.

Computers get pricier than regs.

And until you determine what type of diving you'll be doing, you really won't be quite certain of which type to purchase.

Well, that's just my OPINION . . .

Others will jump in to help, also, I hope.

By the way . . . "WELCOME ! ! !" to ScubaBoard.

Safe dives . . . . . . . . .
. . . and safer ascents !

the K

50.00 at my LDS for everything including 2 tanks for a weekend, accept your personal gear of course (mask, fins, snorkel)

Thanks again for the replies. I haven't started my open water course yet but I will be soon. I'm looking into purchasing personal gear right now and trying on masks and fins that I like. While I'm taking the course I guess I will be able to try out all different types of gear and see what works best for me. Does people usually purchase oxygen tanks or do they almost always rent them? thanks again

Most people buy there tanks, because there are different size tanks, steel, aluminum multiple different options. Purchasing gear is cost effective if you plan on diving a lot. Plus the more dives you complete your comfort level will increase, because you own your equipment plus you know it's history and not who was sucking on the regulator prior. Talk to the people in your Local Dive Shop and talk to them after your class and buy equipment suited to the type of diving you will be doing. IE: Ice Diving, Deep, Altitude etc. You may get more help if you fill out you profile as well. But welcome this is a great place for knowledge.

Rental prices vary place to place. Averages are meaningless, since your options are limited to what's available wherever you happen to be. Generally I suggest renting near the dive destination so if there's a problem, it can easily be resolved.

As to buyung vs renting. The break even point is usually between 50 & 100 dives or 20+ dives per year. Even if you plan to dive seriously, put off the purchasing a little while, so you better know what you want. Consider the rental cost as "stupid purchase insurance". When you start buying follow the Krakens advice & buy from the most personal outwards to the least personal.

Yeah, in Hawaii it can be about $5-15, in Monterey more like $75/day.

Best deals are those multiple dives, multiple days packages. They often throw the gears in for free. I think Aquaworld in mexico even includes the fins and mask. Just have to buy your own snorkel if you needed it.

Back
Top Bottom