What does Tek Lite mean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don’t believe Trimix is anywhere near “recreational”
Recreational is clearly defined in all ow classes in the US

There are three types of diving only:
- recreational (including trimix to arbitrary depths)(for recreation)
- professional (for pay)
- unwanted (for survival)

Professional diving includes inspection, underwater construction, military, public safety and sewer diving and possibly some other forms of diving. Some of these are commercial diving, others are governmental diving.

I know. I am challenging the norm :D

Diving should always be for fun, and you should have fun, and when its not fun its time to thumb it... reef, shallow wreck, cave, deep wreck. Nothing to see worth dieing for. Not to say you can’t push your boundary, go out on a sporty day but in the end it should be fun and not a selfie opportunity.

There are three types of diving only:
- unwanted (for survival)
<humor>
Noo... Don't take me down to that pretty reef! I don't want to see those fish. Why are you putting this dive gear on me? You say the building is exploding? The only way to survive is underwater? But what about my TV sitcoms? A life beneath the sea? Nooo. I wouldn't go.... I like gravity and my 2D world. I'd move to flatland if I could. Bubble bubble bubble...
</humor>

Tech lite seems blurry. I see IANTD's rec classes include a "deep deco" 132' with 10 minutes of (back gas) deco for those who've taken their rec essentials.

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

Common sense would suggest a graduation of skills and techniques dividing recreational and technical diving, mainly based on the kit, techniques, planning and the level of training required to be safe.

For example all CCR diving is technical.

Tecreational / TecLite / advanced recreational and any other made up marketing words simply describe entry level technical diving. A 45m /140' dive with 15 mins deco requires the skills and discipline to hold a stop, redundant gas and planning skills; people without that are risking injury or death and besmirching the reputation of the scuba diving community.

This BUMachine I built in the laundry is lite, and I take it diving solo wearing street clothes
including a Hawaiian shirt and laughing lots, desperately trying not to break my mask seal

full.jpg

But sometimes it is hectic

BU: Breathing Underwater

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom