What doo you do with your car keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I put it on a spare shoestring. Tie the shoestring with a square knot. Wear it like a necklace. I place a jug of fresh water under the car to rinse the salt off before using the key.

I leave the keys in the ignition and a twenty dollar bill on the dash.......and hope it's gone when I surface.

jbm

I keep a spare key inside the little key pocket inside my wetsuit.

Originally posted by Walter
I put it on a spare shoestring. Tie the shoestring with a square knot. Wear it like a necklace. I place a jug of fresh water under the car to rinse the salt off before using the key.

Since most of my diving (when I've been driving) has been in fresh water, I've never thought about the need to rinse the key before using it. Great idea Walter.

Taking a key with you is ideal ... but when you have that remote "thingy", that's when you start getting a bit inventive, as it doesn't like getting wet.

How do I know this? Simple - don't get caught in a down pour where you get soaked. The electronics just don't function in the remote, but the alarm still does in the car.

I dive wet, and have an alarm remote, so I can not put it in undergarments, or clip it anywhere. I keep it in my canister light. No worries about shorting the light, because the electrical connections on the battery are sealed.

My first shore dive we were in a rental in Maui, I placed the key in my swim suit top, pulled up my wetsuit and off I went into the surf. Well, when ready to leave I couldn't find the key...talk about a heart stopper. My brother and I began searching and trying to figure out how to get back to our condo. I decided keep looking in the sand, I retraced my path back to the water where I had rinsed off the sand from my wetsuit and a glint of metal caught my eyes. What I relief. Never again I said. So.....

I don't often have to worry with a car key, but what I have done has been to take off the main key for ignition and door (all in one), place it in a pocket size dry box on a lanyard. I clip it on my BC and into a pocket. Haven't had any problems with that yet. I did find one time I did not have the box snapped shut tight and the key was wet, glad I took the remote off.

Most of my dives though are from a boat and I travel without my car. I ride with others that I dive with to the places we dive.:D

I borrowed Walter's method, it's simple and it works.

I used to put them in my pocket, but the last place I want my keys to be is 1000' back in a cave or at the bottom of the ocean.

So then I started bolt snapping them under the car, but theives know all the hidding places, even if you think you have the greatest hiding spot ever, they know where to look.

So now I keep my keys in my dive buddies car and they keep their car key in the "key pocket" located in the back of their wetsuit or in the "key pocket" in their undergarmet.

If someone is not diving and stays to be surface support then they also become key master and watches everyones keys.

When I forget my shoestring (rarely - I carry spares in my save a dive kit) I revert to my previous method. Place it in my boot under my arch. It's not great for walking, but I rarely have to walk more than a couple hundred yards.

I dive off the shore a lot and currently put my car keys in a zip lock bag and keep them inside my dry suit. I don't like doing it.

Any other better ideas out there?

I have a custom wetsuit from Aquaflite (www.aquaflite.com). They provide a key pocket in the inside of the suit, on request. This is perfect for keeping the single, spare key needed to gain entry to the car - where the electronic, gadgety, alarm activators etc are left hidden while I dive.

MN

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom