What doo you do with your car keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HeHe! I like jbm's post back on page 1!

I keep a single key tied into my trunks drawstring. Someone mentioned rinsing it off before using it....to keep the salt out of the lock....good call! I'll start doing that.

Cheers!

We have a little joke: whoever we would rather not dive with becomes the "Key Master." It is a very important job, standing on the shore holding everyones' keys. The real "Key Master" often turns out to be a non-diving friend or spouse of one of the divers, but being called, "Key Master" is a little jab that reminds us of our imperfections!

:jester:

I went diving with my car key in the BC pocket (no electronics). Worked all right. Some time later the key broke while on a one day diving trip. My SO had to reassemble his car drive 60 km home to get my spare keys then 60 in an other direction to get the keys for me. Do NOT repeat.

I can't be sure that the immersion was the basic cause but I wouldn't risk it again. So I also bought one of these very small dry boxes.

I won't keep the keys in my dry suit inner pocket. The one time where we needed the car keys here and now (DSC hit) there was NO time to get out of the dry suit untill much later. So if you're not prepared to cut open your suit in an emergency find another way.

DSAO

I keep them in my pocket inside my drysuit and dive with them. My keys are the least of my worries if my suit floods and the electronics in the remote get messed up. Getting to them in a hurry is not a big deal, as I have a front "self-donning" type and can get into the suit quite rapidly.

I lock the $25.00 ignition key (with the computer chip) inside the car and clip the $2.00 copy which will only unlock the door to my BC. If my wife/buddy is with me, she also carries one. Also keep a $2.00 key zip-tied to the undercarriage just in case. Hate that locksmith.

I had a couple keys made that only work on the doors, not the ignition. I leave my regular keys in the car, in a well hidden place that it would likely take somebody unfamiliar with it a while to find, if ever. I put the key on a keyring attached to a bolt snap, then clip that bolt snap onto the little ring inside my thigh pocket on the outside of my drysuit. That's the emergency equipment pocket, so if I open it whlie I'm underwater, losing a key is the least of my concerns.

Mike

I had a set of dogtags made up just for diving. I keep a spare "door" key to my truck on a small clip on the chain so I can remove the key with out having to take off the dogtags.

Worn either under a wetsuit or drysuit (front entry drysuit so it's not a problem to get to).

The 2 tags have my name, SS#, blood type, "no alergies" and my sisters name and phone number. She's had the same number for over 8 years and has no plans to move... :wink: Also my DAN ID number and their hotline info. :)

Back
Top Bottom