What doo you do with your car keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jululu

Registered
Reaction score
I dive off the shore a lot and currently put my car keys in a zip lock bag and keep them inside my dry suit. I don't like doing it.

Any other better ideas out there?

As I have a noise maker on the car (aka an alarm), I put my keys in a very small dry box. The box has a length of lanyard on it which I tie off on a d-ring on my BC, and then put the box in the pocket. I've been to 100-110 ft and no problem. The alarm gizzmo still works. :)

Gosh DG,

thats SOME range on that alarm!!! :tease:

Other than drive my car, I keep the keys on the shore/boat securely attached to my dive bag. I also keep a spare hidden (and no, I won't reveal that I hide it in the hole in the right rear bed liner) just in case. Somehow, I find that I don't need the keys down there, but then I don't have an alarm like DG... :tease:

Originally posted by NetDoc
Gosh DG,

thats SOME range on that alarm!!! :tease:

Other than drive my car, I keep the keys on the shore/boat securely attached to my dive bag. I also keep a spare hidden (and no, I won't reveal that I hide it in the hole in the right rear bed liner) just in case. Somehow, I find that I don't need the keys down there, but then I don't have an alarm like DG... :tease:

Geesh Pete -- what I meant is that the alarm still worked after I returned from the dive (in other words everything still was dry).

I bring two keys with me. I lock my everyday key ring in the car, and place a single spare key in the pocket of the undergarment of my dry suit

Originally posted by dmmike
I bring two keys with me. I lock my everyday key ring in the car, and place a single spare key in the pocket of the undergarment of my dry suit
Metoo

And my spare key lives in that pocket...
Comes out to unlock the door and then goes back into hiding...
Never lost... never left behind... never forgotten.

I dive wet, and as I don't have a clicky thing for me car, I just put my keyring in my swim trunks. If I had a clicky thing, I'd probably just put a spare key in my trunks.

I've actually locked my keys in my car before a dive before, and that was a world of unpleasantness :wink:

Jeff

I've got a Jetta, and [thankfully] I can't lock my keys in my car unless I place them in the trunk. The door won't lock unless you use the key to lock it, or the door is closed and you use the remote lock.

I dive wet, so when I got my car last fall it took a sec to come up with a solution since my fuel tank door has to be released from inside the car [I hid my key for my old car inside the fuel tank door].

I only carry the key with the alarm controls, and all my other keys are on a keychain attached to a 2.5 ft. loop of 5 mm climbing rope. First thing I do when I start getting my gear together to go diving is take all but my valet key off my keychain and hang it around my neck.

Last thing I do before I dive is make sure that I lock my car with the key that is around my neck [without taking it off]. This way I'm guaranteed 1) that I'll have my key when I complete my dive, and 2) that I get rescued if there is ever any problem because everyone elses keys are locked in my car! :)

Back
Top Bottom