what dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

People on here dive everything, and I mean everything...even the retro-antique prophylactic suits; and they will all tell you theirs is the best.

Personally I've got a DUI CLX450 which is built like a tank, but it moves well for me. I tried the trilams, but the heavier suit just clicked with me. One suit that gets a lot of acclaim here is the Whites fusion, but I just cant get over the power-ranger factor.

I can imagine whites doing a commercial similar to the windows/mac theme with a fat dude in a DUI and a hot-hard-body in the whites fusion.... it would be awesome

I dove them both. The neoprene is extremely comfortable and very warm but its heavy and takes a long time to dry. The Trilam is light, dries fast and allows you to conrol the warmth via undergarment selection, but its not flexible, making it less comfortable in my book. In the end - I juts sold the neo and kept the trilam.

My 2 cents- Neo for the consitant cold water diving close to home where you don't have to worry about travel weight restrictions and dry times. Trilam for more broad temperature ranges and where you need to have it dry fast and pack light.

I use neoprene drysuits exclusively but my needs are probably a little different than the average rec diver's. I like neoprene (with neoprene seals) because it's comfortable, rugged, requires little in the way of undergarments and is easy to repair. Plus, a leak doesn't mean the end of the dive.

I dive neoprene i use an o'neill 7mm 7000x I like the heavier wrist and neck seals.how do you stretch the neck seal tried the scuba tank but i have a short big neck. had a viking but don't like the squeeze it puts in certain spot of the male anatomy :D

Depends on where you are going to dive IMHO and how cold you get.

Just some random thoughts on suits...

I dove TLS350's for a long time. They were great for travel (very light, dry quick, can be used in very cold or more temperate waters with less undies etc...). The problem for me was most of my diving was in cold water and I get cold very easily. The TLS and many combinations of undies over the years never did it for me. I was always cold. I was certainly never "warm and toasty" as so many claim to be.

So, in an attempt to help, I just bought a Pinnacle Black Ice neoprene suit in hopes that it will be warmer. I haven't tried it out yet. It is heavier for sure just carrying it around the room. It also has a neoprene neck seal and I have never used one of those before. The neoprene neck seal feels more comfy than the latex one but it is kinda strange. I guess you just fold it under towards the neck about 2-3 inches right? I assume also that I will need more weight with the neoprene suit but honestly I was wearing so many layers of thick undies with the TLS anyway that I may even out. Also, neoprene suits usually don't have the telescoping crotch like the TLS and that really helps give you some room to wiggle when taking the suit on and off. The neoprene suit fits me well and therefore is kinda hard to wiggle in and especially out of. All that said, if it keeps me warmer, then it will be worth it!

If you are planning on traveling a lot with the dry suit then I think a trilam is the way to go. If it is for cold and local diving then a neoprene should be considered. Happy hunting and good luck!

Maybe after my first dive or so in the black ice I will write up a small comparison. So far my initial thought is that I will enjoy the Black Ice except during summer months while shore diving. Maybe I will just wear shorts under it when the water is in the 60's+....I hope! :) That would be sweet. Maybe the neoprene suit (a 4.5 mil compressed one in this case) will help with the "warm and toasty" thing. :wink:

Last edited:
I won't be able to help you. Every drysuit I've ever owned, the neck seal fit fine.

Why's that?

If it's rubber, it will stretch! Take my word for it.

And,

"Plus, a leak doesn't mean the end of the dive."

The most important thing is get the dive/job done completely and safely.

Got a pin hole? shell suit aborts/ neoprene finishes.

Nuff said'

LCjeff

OBW

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom