What equipment should I have before I begin.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beyond my normal buddy dive gear, I sling a pony. Which means that for every dive I have a rigged SMB/reel, slate, spare mask, and safety spool in my pockets, as well as a knife and shears on my waist and two lights on my chest straps. Granted, I do solo dives on mostly shallow reefs with little chance of entanglement (save for that octopus I thought about snagging for dinner).

why would you carry a spare mask?

Lots of experience and the knowledge and ability to get yourself out of any bad situation underwater. All the gear in the world isn't going to do you any good if you can't think through situations and resolve problems underwater. You may want to consider taking a course such as IANTD's Self-Sufficient Diver or SDI's Solo Diver course. I teach both and recommend IANTD's course over SDI's. It has more requirements in the standards. However, if you decide to take either course, interview the potential instructors carefully. Neither course will prepare you for solo diving, especially if done to the minimum standards.

Next he will be trying to convince you that taking an essentials course or a fundies course is necessary.:rofl3:

Last edited:
why would you carry a spare mask?

Next he will be trying to convince you that taking an essentials course or a fundies course is necessary.:rofl3:

Personally, I carry a spare mask because masks sometimes get lost or break. Also, it's my understanding that essentials and fundies is all about developing team diving skills, but maybe that is the point of your joke?

Personally, I carry a spare mask because masks sometimes get lost or break. Also, it's my understanding that essentials and fundies is all about developing team diving skills, but maybe that is the point of your joke?

I hear it everytime im near a group of divers, and its always before a dive. Plus i see it everywhere else on forums and video comments(even youtube) from what i understand fundies is about refining yourself to be a better diver.

I hear it everytime im near a group of divers, and its always before a dive. Plus i see it everywhere else on forums and video comments(even youtube) from what i understand fundies is about refining yourself to be a better diver.

Yes, from my limited knowledge I can agree with that in a broad sense. However, I do also get the idea from the boards that people who haven't taken the course often underestimate the team aspect in that philosophy of diving. Solo diving just doesn't fit in. Maybe I'm wrong, ask me again in a couple of months after I've taken my fundies class.:wink:

You might want to do more research or take the course. Fundies has nothing to do with solo diving. In fact, the GUE/DIR guys frown on solo diving. They typically dive in teams of 3. But hey, when you're an Internet diver... :shakehead:

You might want to do more research or take the course. Fundies has nothing to do with solo diving. In fact, the GUE/DIR guys frown on solo diving. They typically dive in teams of 3. But hey, when you're an Internet diver... :shakehead:

it was a joke.....definitively NOT serious my friends are going through this and tell me everything about it, and i hear it from them too, my response? I say shove it.

Oh and i know all about those dir guys....

Personaly, I feel that if you feel you need different equipment from that which you regularly dive your not ready.

I'm not sure I agree with that ... there are a few additional things, including redundant air, that are very prudent for the solo diver to add to their regular kit. Other gear might include a spare mask and a second cutting device.

However, gear really isn't what makes the solo diver ... your mental approach does. You need to be someone who is calm, confident, and experienced enough to know how to avoid problems. You need good judgment ... to know when to play it more conservatively, or what to do differently than you might have done if you had a reliable dive buddy to count on for backup.

What makes the solo diver is not their ability to get out of trouble independently, but rather their ability to anticipate situations that might get them into trouble so they can take steps to not put themselves in that situation in the first place.

This article might be helpful ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Nah ... I've dived with Curtis ... he's definitely a real diver ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

What makes the solo diver is not their ability to get out of trouble independently, but rather their ability to anticipate situations that might get them into trouble so they can take steps to not put themselves in that situation in the first place.
... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I just thought that point was worth repeating. Get that and you're half way there.

Well, I almost feel like if one is a good diver, with good planing skills and a good head on their shoulders, then one shouldnt need redundant gear. But at the same time, I also understand it cant do anything but help, (possibly disrupt streamline). So I'm still up in the air.
:coffee:

Having redundant gear is not a replacement for good planning skills nor having a good head on your shoulders. All the planning and good head in the world isn't going to prevent a situation where you might need a second gas supply due to a reg failure, or a cutting tool to get yourself out of entanglement with an almost invisible strand of monofilament.

Back
Top Bottom