What Experience Level for no-mount / Very Tight Caves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@mdwalter sumps like that are arguably one of the few really good uses for h-valves

@lostsheep you would probably only have to push one tank to get through that but pushing both of them is easy. If a body will get through then the tanks usually will as long as they aren't too long which is where they can get hung up going around a corner.

I don’t think a diver is going through that squeeze. My portly buddies have to take shirts off to get through. A wetsuit might fit a wing and a drysuit is doubtful.

WRT tanks, maybe maybe not. It’s called the corkscrew for a reason. There isn’t a straight shot through it, you have to bend and spin as you go through.

I’ll tell you what, I’ll haul an al80 in there for you to play with 😉

The no mount stuff I've done doesn't involve a harness or wing. Weight yourself to be neutral and al80s are fairly close to just push along in front

I don’t think a diver is going through that squeeze. My portly buddies have to take shirts off to get through. A wetsuit might fit a wing and a drysuit is doubtful.

WRT tanks, maybe maybe not. It’s called the corkscrew for a reason. There isn’t a straight shot through it, you have to bend and spin as you go through.

I’ll tell you what, I’ll haul an al80 in there for you to play with 😉

You'd be surprised at the kind of stuff you can get through in the wet stuff, corkscrews are usually used when you can fit in backmount there are a few restrictions affectionately referred to as "hellbenders" that are a bit more sporty. Obviously you have to be physically small enough so I probably wouldn't fit, but that's why guys like @grantctobin are for :p
Having the right BCD is also rather helpful, I usually dive a Nomad XT and it has too many grabby bits so when I have to go into tight stuff that isn't that smooth I'll usually wear a prototype razor wing that I've got that is a bit more forgiving.

Edd squeezing through some stupid small stuff, my chest won't physically fit in this spot, when I tried I had to use the crossed ankles signal for pull me out because it was like Winnie the Pooh getting stuck in Rabbits house except it was my chest not my gut that got me stuck.

Also, Fluffy Bunny Tunnel

You guys that are talking about and showing videos/pictures going through crazy tight spaces, you are crazy #@*$ers! I am now having nightmares while I am awake. I don't think that I'll be able to sleep tonight. I am now scared of dying just because I'll be stuck in a very tight space in the coffin and grave for eternity something never thought of before at all, this is all because of you. I am sure you are happy now.

:p

Happy New year to you all.

I’ve seen those videos , dry cavers do it tighter.

Never heard of crossed ankles; we click our heels together 3 times like Dorothy to tell our buddies we want to go home :wink:

How do you make the turn if you are stuck in the very tight place and there is somebody behind you? Do they pull you back?

I think a lot of the time getting stuck is part not fitting and part not having something to push / pull on. Buddies can yank you backwards.

I think a lot of the time getting stuck is part not fitting and part not having something to push / pull on. Buddies can yank you backwards.

What if you just want to get the heck out? How do you make the 180 degree turn to head back in the tight place with somebody behind you? Is there a protocol to be able to do that?

What is you just want to get the heck out? How do you make the 180 degree turn to head back in the tight place with somebody behind you? Is there a protocol to be able to do that?

“Protocol” is the liberal use of peer pressure to get them to keep going 🤣

JK. Either back out, keep going until it gets big enough, or don’t go in the first place.

Only rule WRT tight spaces my buddies and I have is we promised to never leave one another after extricating a gravitationally challenged member of another team who had been left to struggle alone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom