What Fish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the_cat_keeper

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Fish is approximately 20cm long, and I often found it to be "resting" among the corals, just as shown in this picture. This particular picture was taken in Redang, Malaysia.

Its shape kind of reminds me of a sweetlip. Is it one?

IMG_0052.JPG

It’s some kind of grouper (Walter is right—sea bass family)—I am guessing Cephalopholis boenak?

the eye shape is like that of a hawkfish - might be a variation of one. Hope someone can answer you soon

Of course the eyes are similar, hawkfishes are tiny seabasses, as are hamlets, groupers are bigger seabasses. This one looks more like a grouper than a hawkfish.

I was writing while you were and didn't see what you had posted Walter...and now seeing that the fish was 20 cm, that is indeed a bit bigger than most hawkfish.

I love those trianglar pupils. What is 20 cm anyway, about 9 inches?

yeah, something like that. For quick measure we would spread thumb and pinkie and between the two it measures about 20cm (strangly it's about the same for almost everybody).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom