What gear malfunctions have you ever had?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Myself haven't had a catastrophic failure. I had 2nd stage free flow a few times. It was defective/mis adjust HOG 2nd stages. I had small inflator leak once. And I have drysuit vent stuck open once. Nothing major.

I have dived with a buddy who pull off his wing inflator during ascent. He was trying to use pull should dump for venting and pull the whole thing off.

Shot an SMB and the reel jammed and went with the SMB (both were recovered, but I launched a lift bag with a finger spool right after it)

Had a first stage free flow on me at 60'. Sipped air until I was empty and switched to a pony. That's why I carry a pony bottle.

Other than that, nothing worth writing home about.

Reactions: RJP
I only had a reg free flowing once on me while ice diving, nothing major.

Been diving since 1989. Still use much of the gear, especially the regs.

Never had a failure.

Knock on wood.

Sticky power inflator on several occasions resulting in self-inflated wing. Have to remember to clean it more often!!

Just this past week the o-ring on the my tank blew. Lost 1000 psi before I could get it shut off 7-10 seconds later. The kit was set up, not being worn and just sitting on the side of the pool during Confined Water training. Glad I wasn't at 30 meters!

I've never had a failure that was anything to worry about.
Closest thing would be an inflator failure. I can keep myself at the surface with a flat wing, but my SMB is also a 30lb lift bag... inflated it, and lay across it like one of those pool noodles.

Ballast on canister light dies at 80 ft
Dive computer died 20 minutes into dive around 60 ft
Sand in LP disconnect mechanism welding sidemount tank to BC at surface
Numerous hose leaks, HP and LP at depth and at surface
Second stage body cracked around adjustment knob
Part of flange on port screw on second stage sheared off and exploded away when pressurizing regs before the dive
Seam weld on wing failed while checking pre-dive
Couple of holes in dry suits

Oh there's more over the last 16 years, that's just off the top of my head.

Had an STA come unbolted from my backplate on the first dive of my honeymoon, dive number three after getting my OW. Tank tried to float to the surface and ripped my reg out.

Had a pancake style apeks octo do a freeflow on giant stride entry on my first cold water dive. Spent 5 minutes avoiding icebergs in the st. Lawrence while it thawed. That was around dive number 18.

Had a light monkey wing have an inflator problem. Kept inflating. Shot me to the surface from 10 feet. Dove with the power inflator disconnected. It was my 1st drysuit dive. That was around dive number 30.

And for some reason I still like diving. I guess thats whay I'm not terrified of equipment failure drills when I go for higher tech courses sometime in the future.

Back
Top Bottom