What Gear should every solo diver have?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's great you want to buddy with your blind friend.. I suggest increasing your own dive experience. Not only with classes.. but increasing your dives. If it were me.. I would research into diving with disabiliites and take training with my friend so you had experience together in a controlled environment with an instructor. Also, it's best not to dive with just the two of you. After certification, diving with a group or a club for Divers with Diabilities would be ideal.. a quick google turned up..

Pacific Northwest Scuba Challenge Association, 14286 72nd Avenue, Surrey, British ColumbIa V3W 2R1 Canada; (604) 525-7149 (Ron Stead)

Your question shows an understanding of the responsibilty of diving with a disabled person.. I wish you both many safe & happy underwater hours. Safe Diving !!

6 cu ft spare air, knife, Rescue Me safety sausage, extra fin and mask strap.

I have to agree with the "more experience" answers. You have to have enough dives to give you the confidence to look after yourself before taking on a blind buddy. I think it's great he will be diving but a more experienced partner for a while would be the best plan for you guys.

Does you Blind Buddy have a certification, the agency that certified him will say what requirements there are for him to dive and who may dive with him. I would reccomend that you take the HSA Buddy course if you want to take your friend diving.

captain:
I wear two wet suits, two BC's, 2 weight belts, 4 fins, 2 swim trunks, if I am diving doubles, I drag along another set, two pairs of contact lens, two pony bottles, you get the idea.

Do you wear them in layers or side by each?

Just a note as to a blind diver not knowing if youre in trouble..
Keep in mind that blind people are (unless recently becoming blind) used to using their ears instead of their eyes.
I would assume a blind diver would be capable of realizing youre in trouble (hed hear if your freeflowing or out of air, for example) altho he might have problems helping you..
I do support the thought of considering yourself a solo diver as far as relying on the buddy goes tho.

I second the HSA buddy course- and get a friend to take it with you so that you can have two buddies. The second buddy is to assist you, in case your blind friend can't.

Other than that, I when I dive with blind divers, I don't take anything extra than when I dive with sighted divers. :)

I don't feel this thread really belongs in the solo forum and should be moved to the "divers with disabilities" section.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom