What Gear should every solo diver have?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

haha49

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Just wondering becuase my blind friend wants to dive and since i will end up being his partner i would rahter be geared up like i solo diver just in case..

the dives will be in cold water at shore in nice calm bays..

what about your buddy then?

If you're with your buddy then he's got all the redudancy you need on his back and given that you simply cannot leave him alone to go off and deal with a problem by yourself then I would say that you don't need any special equipment.

To me it sounds like you're concerned about his ability to help you. If that's the case then your best bet is to dive with a 3rd diver.

And keep it shallow.

R..

Sufficient training to dive with an individual with less than full capabilities. Minumum rescue diver or higher, training with HSA or another agency specializing in training buddies for diving with such individuals. To do so before acquiring the necessary skills would be highly dangerous to both divers.

I think if you take all the answers you have so far....combine them....you have the answer.

First of all you have to be totally prepared to come to your friends assistance if needed. You are not really "solo" diving at all.

But....Doc is right too based on your question.....you need to have 100% back up like you were diving totally on your own because based on your friends disability, you are "kind of" solo diving. Your friend will never know if you are in trouble.

Think of every scenario that could occur and what you would need for each.....

good luck partner.....rich

like doc said. redundant air

Its a good idea to be geared up for solo but there should be 2 buddies for a blind diver.

Good life insurance, one mistake,PAYOFF

Doc Harry:
Two of everything, 100% redundancy

I wear two wet suits, two BC's, 2 weight belts, 4 fins, 2 swim trunks, if I am diving doubles, I drag along another set, two pairs of contact lens, two pony bottles, you get the idea.

Definitely don't take him alone until you are a certified rescue diver and comfortable with your skills. You'll need redundant air. Since you will be the shepherd you will need enough capacity to get you both to the surface. Also you have to worry about entanglements. I'd take along two or more cutting instruments located in two different places. I usually dive with a dive knife inside my lower leg, a pair of shears in my BC pocket, and a z-knife velcroed to my inflater hose when I am soloing. Take along another very experienced diver as a buddy until you are ready and skilled enough to handle it.

I think its very noble of you to help your friend out. Just don't get in over your head. Stay out of currents and kelp when you are diving with your friend. You will also want to learn how and use a buddy line when you are diving together. PM NWGreatfuldiver with your situation and he will be able to offer some good advice on the instructors and buddies you will both need.

Good Luck,
AL

Back
Top Bottom