What happened to Thanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Dillehay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
This year the number of thanks that had been received by posters was removed from the header. Many think the number of thanks received ratio to posts, is a pretty good indicator of credibility. Why was this done?

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

People were using it only to up their post counts.
It lost its value.

There are also those who use the greeting and introductions to up posts counts.

Now, bear in mind, I'm not saying that everyone does it, just some.

The Kraken

This year the number of thanks that had been received by posters was removed from the header. Many think the number of thanks received ratio to posts, is a pretty good indicator of credibility. Why was this done?

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

There was several threads in site support on this subject at the time it was done.

This thread may have the most condensed version of events leading to the change: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/site-support/340101-thanks-button-gone-take-ii.html

The answer offered seems pretty weak to me. I have tried to post only when I could give good information on and about Cozumel, and for the most part avoided being commercial. I posted about my own dive accidents, the hurricanes in Cozumel, and many other topics of interest to the board. The thanks received was a pretty good indication of my contribution and I felt more than a little pride in providing posts that the board members appreciated.

Those in power of this board have now reduced the incentive to provide important and useful info.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

PS I am not a "new member"

I have also enjoyed your posts as well Dave. There are countless people who provide great information on all their Cozumel experiences. Most post for because they want to share their experiences with others who have an interest in Cozumel diving with only the expectation of offering an opinion or helping someone out without the expectation of a Thanks. Its what has made Scubaboard so successful. The Thanks counter does little to add to anyones credibility. Its the content of the information provided that is important. It would be a shame if you decided not to post great information on Scubaboard because the Thanks
counter has been taken away

It seems that there are always going to be some who need to be offended by others. Some members having fun, and playing in certain threads, and also playing with the "Thanks" button, offended this type of member, and they complained.

At first the thanks button was completely removed, which sparked a bit of a firestorm among members not so easily offended, and other members who liked the thanks option for their own reasons. Eventually a sort of compromise was reached, where some threads have the thanks option, while some do not.

This way, a few were partially satisfied, while no one is truly satisfied; those who who seek to be offended still are, while those who like the thanks option, or like playing with it, get to use it some of the time only.

Last edited:
I too found a thanks count somewhat useful. I did not find it so difficult to pretty quickly figure out who was actually helpful, and who was just blowing smoke up everyone else's @$$#$.

The thanks button was much useful as the post count button, for me, in seeing who has been active here in SB (and we all know that no one ever has used the greetings thread, etc, to bump up their thread count, don't we?)!

As I indicated, I think a very small minority, forced an unnecessary change on everyone else, just because they sought to find something, anything to be offended by. If it weren't that horrid button it would (and I am sure will) be something else.

I will generally give a thanks to someone who comes back and follows up on the outcome of their original question.

The original post --> I am going to.....! Who should I dive with?

The follow up --> Well I am back and this is what I did/used/experienced!

Even if I don't care about the subject matter (such as cruise ship diving) I appreciate follow up posts!

I have found SB a very helpful community of divers. Met some great people here. Are there a few #@#$%? Sure, but they are everywhere, and the board has no more and no less than I see in every group.

I do like to thank someone, who I think has contributed something useful. Sometimes a thanks for a good sense of humor is worthy too.

Back
Top Bottom