What happened to Thanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:headscratch:

Cave Diver:
I can only ask that you trust me when I say that it caused a lot of problems that weren't obvious from the outside looking in.

Why can't you tell us about the problems it was causing? Since the vast majority of us are on the outside looking in, that would seem to be the reasonable thing to do.

Why can't you ban offenders from using the feature (if you can ban members from specific threads it seems logical to think you could ban them from specific features)?

Why can't you tell us about the problems it was causing? Since the vast majority of us are on the outside looking in, that would seem to be the reasonable thing to do.
The issues were discussed in several of the 4 or 5 previous threads on this topic. I'm sure you're aware that it's board policy not to discuss details of moderation decisions. There is nothing further that I can add that hasn't already been said in the other threads.

Why can't you ban offenders from using the feature (if you can ban members from specific threads it seems logical to think you could ban them from specific features)?

As pointed out in previous threads on the topic, the Thanks! button is an add on hack for Vbulletin. It is not a standard feature and that is why you don't see it incorporated into a lot of other boards. After the feature was removed, I'm the one that went back and reinstalled it to the current level that it's at now. It was done in my spare time and it was brought back to a level that most users find acceptable. No matter what, there are always users who don't agree with a feature. We still have some that wish it had never come back, we have some that want the counts visible, we have some that want it limited, some that want it unlimited. Basically, you can't please everyone and when it was reinstalled, I invested my time in trying to please the greatest number of people based on the feedback we received.

If you're really interested in having the features changed, I would suggest starting a thread in site support detailing exactly what you'd like and finding others who support the idea. If you get enough support, I'm sure it will be considered.

As I said, I really never saw how any of that really hurt anyone, or SB, and it was pretty obvious who the ones were who were doing that. It really only offended those who wished to be offended, in my opinion.

Jim, you hit the nail on the head in your last sentence.....

Selective reading can miss the good part...
...when you see it in operation, destroying threads with obnoxious, meaningless posts placed simply for the reason of getting the thanks count up, you can understand it.

Selective reading can miss the good part...

Indeed.

..the second paragraph of John's post was really the heart of the problem. The first paragraph was just incidental...

Disclaimer: This post is not addressing any one specific person - I'm simply responding with my opinion to the collective posts in this thread and other related threads.

Personally, I'm more confused as to why people are upset that the thanks count button was removed - I mean the "thanks" button IS still here to use. I don't personally need a "thanks" button to feel validated in my postings nor do I need to see someones post or thanks counts to determine their credibility.

I make posts either to inform, clarify, have fun, or ask my own questions with no expectations of gratitude in return. Likewise, I tend to make my own decisions and form my own opinions based on context of individual threads/posts and posting history of members - not by how many "thanks" someone has received from others who I may or may not even agree with. If I have questions or want to see someone's posting patterns, etc. I just click on "see all posts" by a member and reading their posts will tell me far more than how many real or arbitrary "thanks" they have received or given for that matter.

As has been pointed out - you can still quickly and easily check someone's "thanks" count by clicking on their profile if that's one of your (collectively speaking) measuring sticks regarding someones credibility or how "popular" they are.

As far as people abusing this feature and causing problems for SB staff - I can totally see that happening and also don't understand why some members feel that they (staff members) should be obligated to explain in detail exactly what all of the issues were or why they came to the decisions they did. Keep in mind hat the mods and most staff members are volunteers and this is a FREE site (unless you choose to donate by becoming a supporting member) - for all I know or care - they got tired of dealing with the petty BS the thanks count was causing and decided it was more hassle than it was worth.

Just like in any business - pick any industry - there are "insider" and "back room" details that you don't share with your clients/customers/competitors, etc. You don't explain business decisions with them - so why should SB Staff be obligated to share their business decisions?

This isn't a public corporation and we aren't stockholders - we are guests and are fortunate enough to have an open forum to discuss every angle of a topic we all love as long as we don't abuse the guidelines the owner and staff member have requested us to follow - let's be grateful for THAT!

As always, just my two pesos! :D

PS: Thank you to both John's for providing explanations that you really didn't have to provide IMO - and thanks for your hard work moderating what often amounts to Jr. high kids!

Disclaimer: This post is not addressing any one specific person - I'm simply responding with my opinion to the collective posts in this thread and other related threads.

Personally, I'm more confused as to why people are upset that the thanks count button was removed - I mean the "thanks" button IS still here to use. I don't personally need a "thanks" button to feel validated in my postings nor do I need to see someones post or thanks counts to determine their credibility.

I make posts either to inform, clarify, have fun, or ask my own questions with no expectations of gratitude in return. Likewise, I tend to make my own decisions and form my own opinions based on context of individual threads/posts and posting history of members - not by how many "thanks" someone has received from others who I may or may not even agree with. If I have questions or want to see someone's posting patterns, etc. I just click on "see all posts" by a member and reading their posts will tell me far more than how many real or arbitrary "thanks" they have received or given for that matter.

As has been pointed out - you can still quickly and easily check someone's "thanks" count by clicking on their profile if that's one of your (collectively speaking) measuring sticks regarding someones credibility or how "popular" they are.

As far as people abusing this feature and causing problems for SB staff - I can totally see that happening and also don't understand why some members feel that they (staff members) should be obligated to explain in detail exactly what all of the issues were or why they came to the decisions they did. Keep in mind hat the mods and most staff members are volunteers and this is a FREE site (unless you choose to donate by becoming a supporting member) - for all I know or care - they got tired of dealing with the petty BS the thanks count was causing and decided it was more hassle than it was worth.

Just like in any business - pick any industry - there are "insider" and "back room" details that you don't share with your clients/customers/competitors, etc. You don't explain business decisions with them - so why should SB Staff be obligated to share their business decisions?

This isn't a public corporation and we aren't stockholders - we are guests and are fortunate enough to have an open forum to discuss every angle of a topic we all love as long as we don't abuse the guidelines the owner and staff member have requested us to follow - let's be grateful for THAT!

As always, just my two pesos! :D

Well said Christi.. Thanks

The thanks counter is still available under the "Statistics" tab in your user profile.

I didn't know of that feature.

Well said Christi.. Thanks
:lol:​
A good example of how the Thanks button can be used in place of Thanks-posting, but sometimes we like to say Thanks twice, huh? :wink:

Back
Top Bottom