What happens if I need to do this underwater, silly ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1) Not to put too fine a point on the subject, but your nose is going to become involved in this upchucking exercise. You'll get some really good practise at clearing your mask.

2) The outcome is going to vary - if you are just wearing a bathing suit, vs. a wet suit vs. a dry suit.

'nuff said?

I was with someone during your #1 scenario. We had just had lunch at Waffle House--he had the chili, then went diving in the lake.

I noticed the fish were all over him, then noticed he was in a strange hunched position, THEN saw that he was alternately taking breaths and then taking the reg out to puke. No problem, the dive went on. We were only 20 ft. deep at the time, so he could have surfaced, but we have this thing about solving underwater problems while we are underwater, so he stuck it out.

Have witnessed #2 also, but only between dives while out on a pontoon boat when a bit of Montezuma attacked one of my buddies. Not a pretty sight. Fortunately, dilution is the solution to pollution.

theskull

EZHOOPS:
OK, just a very silly question but a good one I think.
I'm a new diver and what happens each of these 2 scenarios

1. What if I'm diving and at about 40 ft and suddenly I feel like I need to vomit?

What do I do?

2. Again 40 ft and I have a sudden bowel attack and I need to go #2 immediately cannot wait to surface?

what do I do?
puke thru the reg, or remove it puke put it back!!! thats easy, BUT..... on the other #2, wetsuit... well... warhammer and hope you are in warm water and not in monterey ca, but hey folks if you are in a drysuit..... um... warhammer isnt going to work, ohhh that is a nasty thought!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i dont even want to go there!!?????:(

jim ernst:
#2, wetsuit... well... warhammer and hope you are in warm water and not in monterey ca, but hey folks if you are in a drysuit..... um... warhammer isnt going to work, ohhh that is a nasty thought!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i dont even want to go there!!?????:(

If you are in a drysuit, there is always Ebay. No way I would dive it again.:shakehead

While I've never personally had to vomit underwater one of my AOW students has (she was also one of my OW students). I had told them the same thing I was taught in my OW class, purge while you vomit then let go of the purge to inhale. Switch to your octopus and purge the "dirty" reg to clear the rest of the chunks and rinse well when you're finished. She said she felt it coming and thought "Ber told us we could puke through the regulator" and she did it. She said she didn't produce very much vomitus at the time but it was easy to vomit through the reg and she continued her dive.
Ber :lilbunny:

I've puked the the reg before, but it wasn't chunky

Another valid arguement for wearing Depends under your drysuit, lol. A P-vavle doesn't solve *all* of your problems, lol.

The fish show up really quick and make short work of the fresh food. You're a hero for about 30 seconds, but IMHE you're too busy trying to get back to breathing normally to notice it. Swish and purge, switch to second if you must, and you're back in business.

Sneezing is a tougher maneuver in my opinion than vomiting.

EZHOOPS:
What is the "Warhammer" ?

OH no not again!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, I guess the basic answer is " you do what you have to do, even if its #2"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom