What have you seen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still vividly remember, though it was 25 years ago, the first time I saw a sunset take place while underwater......

Wow, I had no idea you could see the sunset under the water! I'm still a newbie and that is going on my bucket list :)

*~ Adventurer for life ~*

Whoa, that's amazing!

*~ Adventurer for life ~*

Ha ha ha.. the remora story reminds me of a dive a long while ago that had a small remora wanting to attach it self to me. I thought it would be fun, and I heard that they suck hard enough to give you a hickey, and you just push on their nose and they come right off. No big deal. So I stuck out my bare leg to it, and it kept going for my inner thigh. Can you imagine trying to explain a hickey on my inner thigh to non divers?

I think I was going too slow for it ultimately. It never really sucked on, just went up and down and back and forth; all around perhaps looking for a good spot.

Seemed to say it itself, "this is a real piece of ****, I should move on." It did and checked out the divemaster. She thought it was cool as well. A few minutes later it checked out another woman in the group and she freaked. Then it really moved on.

Does pushing on their nose make them let go? I figured if you got out of the water they would let go, maybe not.
Ha ha ha.. the remora story reminds me of a dive a long while ago that had a small remora wanting to attach it self to me. I thought it would be fun, and I heard that they suck hard enough to give you a hickey, and you just push on their nose and they come right off. No big deal. So I stuck out my bare leg to it, and it kept going for my inner thigh. Can you imagine trying to explain a hickey on my inner thigh to non divers?

Does pushing on their nose make them let go? I figured if you got out of the water they would let go, maybe not.

Not necessarily, whilst working in the Caribbean one of my lecturers thought it would be amusing to try and stick a remora they had caught in a net onto one of his friends - apparently it was highly amusing until they realised they couldn't get it off. When they finally removed it it took a large chunk of skin off of his chest as well. Not sure how big the remora was but the absence of water didn't seem to deter it apparently!

Anway - I think the coolest thing I have seen so far has been being circled by six-seven grey reef sharks after a night dive on the GBR - they mostly stuck to the edge of the boats lights but a few times ventured in closer, one of which came to about a metre or so away before heading back off.

I got to see the nuclear submarine almost every day for 4 years, only it was from the inside.

Hard to select one thing that would be the coolest. Shipwrecks in Bermuda were pretty cool. Eagle ray in Cozumel, maybe, or the nurse shark. Or the puffer, or the little octopus on the night dive, or the seahorses. Garibaldi in the kelp beds off San Diego swimming in the sunrays coming from the surface between the kelp. Queen Angelfish, Grey Angelfish, Stoplight Parrotfish, wow, I could keep going.

---------- Post added January 11th, 2014 at 01:01 PM ----------

Had four big humpbacks each the size of a bus glide quietly past about ten metres away, two on either side while freediving in about 15 m of water.

Not quite the same as seeing one underwater but had an Australian navy submarine go past on the way home from a dive. Our charter boat had to stop while we waited for it to pass.View attachment 175206

That must have been out by Rockingham.

DFB

---------- Post added January 11th, 2014 at 01:08 PM ----------

Living and diving on Guam my entire life. The navy could exit the harbor without calling the harbor master so we never knew when they would be heading out to sea but often saw them leave. On one occasion I was working on the navy channel side of a reef only about 30ft down and could very clearly see and hear the sub go by. At times I worked diving in the Navy harbor and saw subs surfaced at dock as well as other American warships but only once saw the sub cruising underwater. As far as knowing which has nuclear missles, I don't. I just assumed they all did. Adventure-Ocean

I could be wrong but I don't think the US Navy has any NON nuclear submarines anymore.

DFB

Japanese wrecks from WWII in Chuuk… diving into cargo ships with completely intact planes, tanks and trucks was just mind-blowing!
Also, whale sharks and a GIANT SCHOOL of Hammerheads.

Back
Top Bottom