What if...? Lost Buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In this thread, lots of people have talked about surfacing...but no one has mentioned how the ascent should be managed. Nowadays instructors teach the importance of conducting safety stops on every dive. During a "lost buddy" scenario, should you conduct a safety stop or not? What is the thinking process one might use to help guide that choice? Would this impact how long you would wait before raising the alarm to activate emergency services?

Hi Bubbletrubble,

In my post # 29, I did call out that I would do a safety stop "If my buddy doesn’t come to assist me or if there is no one else to assist me and the cramps persist I would have to end the dive, signal I will be ascending, ascend, safety stop, inflate SMB and blow whistle for the boat."

I think it's important to follow the rules of a safety stop as to not injure yourself. Plus, this gives you a few minutes to look below you to see if you can locate your lost buddy.:wink:

Now, I'd like to hear about another scenario:
What would you do if you lost your buddy, looked for one minute, then surfaced but you wait for a while and your buddy doesn't come up for a long time? How long would you wait on the surface for your buddy before doing something and what would you do?

Now that's a good question (not to imply the OP questions are not) I've never actually thought about that - quite sure my wife hasn't either and is something we'll keep in mind for the next dive.

I think what I'd do is after the standard "look for a minute then surface" I'd probably give it another minute or two. If she didn't surface I'd either head back to the boat hoping like hell she's there - and obviously notify the crew if she wasn't, or, if shore diving , head back to shore - hope I have the car key and a cell phone waiting for me and call 911

Which leads to a follow up question - what if you're shore diving in a foreign country?

Ok, so we've had about 40 responses now. I'm going to invite some of the more experienced members following along to go ahead discuss pros and cons of some of the answers given so far.

For the newer divers, feel free to continue giving your answers to the scenarios.

Hi Bubbletrubble,

In my post # 29, I did call out that I would do a safety stop "If my buddy doesn’t come to assist me or if there is no one else to assist me and the cramps persist I would have to end the dive, signal I will be ascending, ascend, safety stop, inflate SMB and blow whistle for the boat."

I think it's important to follow the rules of a safety stop as to not injure yourself. Plus, this gives you a few minutes to look below you to see if you can locate your lost buddy.:wink:

Having an SMB for that situation could definitely help eliminate some confusion, and I would say that deploying SMB during a safety stop (or even prior to ascent in shallow enough water) in a separated buddy situation should be part of the pre-dive briefing. Sure could help to locate each other once you surface, or to know which way to head if you surface before your buddy.

What would you do if you lost sight of your buddy underwater and couldn't find him/her?

Think back to our pre-dive discussion as to what we determined we would do if this were to happen. If we did not discuss this possibility or for some reason I could not recall it, I would check on my amount of remaining air. Assuming I had sufficient air, I would spend a few minutes turning 360 degrees looking straight ahead, above and below my current location to see if I could spot my buddy. If I was unsuccessful in spotting my buddy I would surface.
This is a pretty good answer. I couple of things I would add to this is that if you're in lower vis (which I would somewhat assume if you've lost your buddy without noticing) is to stop and hold your breath for a second or two and listen for the sound of their bubbles. If you can hear them, that probably indicates they're still pretty close to you. You might also consider rapping on your tank with your knife to get their attention in case they haven't noticed you're separated yet. It's good to include this in your pre dive briefing, i.e. 5 raps on the tank means to surface and meet. Be sure to keep an eye out for bubbles as well as your buddy, as sometimes the bubble trail is more visible than the diver. Upon surfacing, look around for bubbles and if your buddy still hasn't surfaced or you haven't seen a sign of them after a predetermined amount of time (5 min?) it may be time to consider heading to shore and calling for help.
What could be done to prevent this:
In pre dive discussion, determine which role each person will have - leader or follower and the expectations of each. For example, how close a distance/gap; how often one should check that the other is "still there". Establish what each person is expected to do if we were to lose sight of one another.

Carry some type of underwater noise-making signalling device. (Realizing that simply carrying it wouldn't prevent it - but using it could possibly get the attention of a buddy who wasn't as close as they probably should be.)

Cheryl

(Before hitting post - I began to second guess :confused: my answer about spending a few minutes looking for buddy - thinking that perhaps I should simply surface (safely) as I would have no back up if something were to go wrong. Looking forward to seeing what experienced divers' advice is...)

It's good that you're thinking about the pre dive discussion and the role each person will play. Another consideration is that buddy separation is not likely to occur so much in clear tropical water diving. It's more likely to occur in lower vis conditions, and this is where carrying a good light can come in handy. It will help you investigate stuff during the dive, as well as providing a means to signal your buddy and provide a beacon if you become separated. A lot of people underestimate the value of a good light during day time dives in these conditions.

Hi Bubbletrubble,

@Jewls: I like the fact you recognized that a cramp which leads to buddy separation is essentially just a "lost buddy" situation (accompanied by some physical pain and an inability to kick with both legs :D ), so the procedure should be similar.

You bring up an excellent point. Rules are important. It's equally important to think about the reasoning behind those rules. What would happen if you performed a safe ascent (at a rate of 33 ft/min; from a depth of 60 fsw, it should take about 2 minutes) directly to the surface? For most divers, a typical safety stop is 3 minutes.
Choice #1: Ascend safely and conduct a safety stop = 5 minutes
Choice #2: Ascend safely but directly to surface without a safety stop = 2 minutes
How much trouble do you think your buddy could get into in that 3 minute time difference?
On the other hand, what might your buddy be thinking if he/she conducted a one minute search for you, did a direct ascent to the surface (no safety stop), and was waiting at the surface? Let's say that the surface was choppy, there was a little current present so you drifted a fair distance away while doing your safety stop, and your safety stop bubbles couldn't be visualized by your buddy. The presence of current can really complicate things.

On a related note...
How much do you think your DCS risk will go down by conducting that safety stop? (50%, 10%, 1%, 0.1%, 0.01%)
Or, to put it another way, how much of a DCS risk is there for a recreational diver who skips a safety stop on any given dive?

I think another useful exercise that bears mentioning is to imagine...really imagine...losing your buddy and being all alone. Close your eyes and imagine that for a second. You look around and see nothing but blue/dark water. You're angry that your buddy left you or that you allowed your buddy to stray too far away. Does the rate of your breathing quicken? Do you find yourself unintentionally going up or down in the water column? What do you do first?
It's fairly easy for a diver to become rattled if he/she hasn't mentally prepared for this situation. Just something to think about...

I am going to throw a monkey wrench in the works here. Lets say you and your buddy are beach diving towing a dive flag. This area has heavy boat traffic. Now you get separated from your buddy and your not carrying the Flag. How then would you answer the question?

This is a dangerous situation. In my limited experience, that whistle on the BC does NOT sound loud enough to get a driver's attention over a running boat, or get the boat's attention over the squeaking gulls and the radio. If you have one of those tiny 3" diameter x 3' tall SMBs, you won't be seen either.

I have an 8' SMB, and an air horn in my pocket. I want to be noticed and found.

With a lost buddy scenario on a local shore dive what I do depends on the other diver and what we've discussed.

If it's a new diver then it's 1 minute search and ascend and wait. That's what they were taught and expect.

I have one photographer buddy and at local sites I'm OK with separation (not my preference but his and I make that exception for him). We are both comfortable solo diving and generally find each other underwater within a few minutes anyway.

For most everyone else (experienced regular buddies) we rarely separate in the first place. If we do we have agreed beforehand to search for 1 minute and then ascend and stay on the surface for 5 minutes or so (long enough to make sure the other diver isn't coming up) and then go back down and search until gas dictates an ascent. We have just decided that calling for help in those circumstances (other than a medical emergency) is less useful than calmly searching for the other person.

For an experienced person who is not comfortable solo diving then this would not apply to them.

There is no 100% correct answer as one can find faults in hindsight with any system.

Ok, so we've had about 40 responses now. I'm going to invite some of the more experienced members following along to go ahead discuss pros and cons of some of the answers given so far.
Having been summoned, I feel an enormous pressure to say something intelligent for a change. :D

I think Bob (NW Grateful Diver) and John (Cave Diver) have already stepped in with some good thoughts on the point by point questions. I also believe that, for the people who really are new divers in this forum, most of the answers have been excellent and on target. I would just like to respond to one specifically and then talk generically.

The only time I dove non-tropical conditions with low viz was during my O/W training at Chatfield Res. .
Jewls, I got rid of your turquoise font because it was giving me a headache.:wink:

What you describe is all too familiar to me, and it is why I hope I never have to instruct at Chatfield Reservoir again. What you experienced was a very unusual situation caused in large part because of the shallowness of water (21 feet max), which forced them to lay the line right on the bottom. Consequently, when instructors take students along that line, it takes tremendous buoyancy control, a skill far beyond that of OW students, to stay on it without rorotilling the silty bottom. The result is the worst visibility I have ever seen anywhere. The primary thing to do in that situation is not to dive in those conditions until you have a lot more--seriously a lot more--experience and training. You and your buddy should end the dive before you get separated, because you have to recognize that separation is almost inevitable, so you might as well get it over with right away. (I realize you did not have a choice in that class. When I did classes there I ran a line at about 15 feet. Our students didn't see the commode, but they stayed with each other.)

Speaking generically, buddy separation can be a very serious problem, and as most of you noted, the "look for 1 minute and then surface" rule will cover most situations. The key aspect of it is that both buddies (or more in a larger group) must follow the plan.

Let me describe to you what happens when that doesn't happen.

I was with a group of 5 experienced divers diving in a fairly shallow reservoir (Aurora Reservoir, Jewls). It was just a fun dive. There is sunken Cessna out quite a ways from shore. The plan was that one of us would take a compass heading on the float attached to the plane and take the lead on that heading. The rest of us would follow in two wing-on-wing buddy teams. The visibility was relatively poor--maybe 8 feet. I don't know exactly how it happened, but when we were probably not far from the plane, the leader disappeared.

The remaining four of us turned toward each other at first to make sure we were all aware of the problem, and then we followed protocol. We looked around for a minute and began an ascent. (We had actually been very close the whole time. He later told us that while he was looking for us, he could hear us breathing but could not find us.) We waited on the surface in somewhat windy conditions, but he did not appear. We saw something curious in the distance--an inflated surface marker buoy drifting away in the wind.

Other than the visibility, this was an extremely easy dive--35 feet of depth in a relatively calm lake. He was an extremely experienced and knowledgeable diver. The odds of him being in trouble were very slim. We spent some time searching the surface, looking for bubbles, but there was enough wind to make that hard. We started getting nervous and headed for shore. We encountered him there. He had gone in under water.

When he had finally realized he could not locate us, despite being very familiar with the 1 minute search protocol, he decided on a new plan for getting back together with us. He inflated a surface marker buoy at depth and sent it to the surface so that we would spot it when we surfaced and go down the line to find him. Unfortunately, it had somehow come untied, which is why we had seen it drifting away in the wind. Realizing we could no longer find him by that means, he had reversed his compass heading and gone on back to shore.

Because he was such an experienced diver, he had decided that he could execute a better plan than the standard one via the marker buoy. He had not thought it through to the point of figuring out what we were going to do with that buoy once we went down the line to find him--was he going to go up, deflate it, and then come back down and try to find us again?

The standard plan works just fine for all divers at all levels. If all 5 of us had followed it instead of only 4, we would have lost maybe 5 minutes of our planned dive in the process--instead we lost the entire dive. In less benign conditions, we might have lost the diver.

@Jewls: I like the fact you recognized that a cramp which leads to buddy separation is essentially just a "lost buddy" situation (accompanied by some physical pain and an inability to kick with both legs :D ), so the procedure should be similar

Thank you

You bring up an excellent point. Rules are important. It's equally important to think about the reasoning behind those rules. What would happen if you performed a safe ascent (at a rate of 33 ft/min; from a depth of 60 fsw, it should take about 2 minutes) directly to the surface? For most divers, a typical safety stop is 3 minutes.
Choice #1: Ascend safely and conduct a safety stop = 5 minutes
Choice #2: Ascend safely but directly to surface without a safety stop = 2 minutes
How much trouble do you think your buddy could get into in that 3 minute time difference?

On the other hand, what might your buddy be thinking if he/she conducted a one minute search for you, did a direct ascent to the surface (no safety stop), and was waiting at the surface? Let's say that the surface was choppy, there was a little current present so you drifted a fair distance away while doing your safety stop, and your safety stop bubbles couldn't be visualized by your buddy. The presence of current can really complicate things.

What if my buddy did a safety stop too? That would give one of us about 1 minute alone on the surface waiting for each other. I suppose this is another thing that should be discussed pre dive with your buddy, if lost safety stop or not?

On a related note...
How much do you think your DCS risk will go down by conducting that safety stop? (50%, 10%, 1%, 0.1%, 0.01%)
Or, to put it another way, how much of a DCS risk is there for a recreational diver who skips a safety stop on any given dive?
I guess it depends on what depth you were at when you lost your buddy. Say 100 feet, I would do a safety stop for my own protection. If less than 60, I would say your chances of DCS would decrease. Although you may still encounter signs and symptoms of DCS. Perhaps in this case (60 ft), a safety stop wouldn't be completely necessary. If you considered the speed of the current, weather conditions, your buddies experience, all which could work against you, a light risk of DCS might be worth it to skip the stop, especially if you think your buddy will panic or get seperated from you at the surface.

I think another useful exercise that bears mentioning is to imagine...really imagine...losing your buddy and being all alone. Close your eyes and imagine that for a second. You look around and see nothing but blue/dark water. You're angry that your buddy left you or that you allowed your buddy to stray too far away. Does the rate of your breathing quicken? Do you find yourself unintentionally going up or down in the water column? What do you do first?...It's fairly easy for a diver to become rattled if he/she hasn't mentally prepared for this situation. Just something to think about...
Yes and Yes. I've been real close to losing my buddy because a sting ray caught my eye and I watched it for a minute as my buddy moved on. I did get frightened and started looking all around and above me. I thought to myself, ok, get ready for the 1 minute rule. I looked again and there she was, in a little bit of blind spot to my bottom right (can you tell at this point I was breathing heavier and my body rose?:wink:). After the dive, I told her about the fact that I thought I lost her and she said that when she turned to look for me she saw me looking at the sting ray and turned around to stay with me, plus she wanted to look at it too.

Good thing she was keeping an eye out on me! For the rest of the dive I kept a closer eye on her. It's scary loosing your buddy, that's why I now keep a closer eye on my buddy, coz you never know when they will stop paying attention to you. I also learned from this that I can be distracted easily, if something catches my eye and my buddy is still going, I'd choose my buddy over the fish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom