What-If Scenario's, What would YOU do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NewFloridaDiverLady:

Alright - how about this scenario - water in second stage for its own reason, no octo in the set up, one fin lost in kicking up effort, left over air in mask just for a mask squeeze, already "inhaled" couple of "water" breaths, air in tip of the lungs, no pony bottle, wet suit, buddy is 20-30 feet below you and going down - all this happens in 15 sec; surface is 30' up and it's not a drill - it's a real experience. Suggestions anyone?

There are 2 critical mistakes, 1) no octo 2) buddy is 20ft below you.

Only thing to do is swim down to your buddy or do an emergency OOA ascent (now known as EOA). :confused:

EOA is probably your best option :)

NWGratefulDiver:
Just curious ... how many of you who are advocating pinching a hose to stop a free-flow have actually tried it? How successful were you? What did you do before and after pinching off the hose?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Actually, I was wondering too Bob. I have never seen this done but would like to know if it works.

What if someone chummed the water from the boat, or a speared fish, while you are at 100ft, You see Very large Great White shark swimming around the boat, You have a 1st stage failure, and are now sharing air with your dive partner, and the 2 of you are running out of air in his/her tank fast. The boat is too far from shore to head for the shore to avoid swimming directly towards the boat where the shark is. What do you do, besides stabbing your dive buddy? Oh by the way, you or your dive buddy do not have a pony bottle and reg, because you, were too embarrased to dive with the extra gear because you alway read on scubaboard, how some divers here, said using your brain and a good dive buddy is more valuable than a pony bottle. What do you do? lol

NWGratefulDiver:
Since then I've decided that if given the option, coming up on my buddie's safe second is generally the better thing to do.

this is why diving with a buddy is a Good Thing. even in TS&M's dire scenario, the quickest, easiest & hence safest option is to get on your buddy's alternate & start an alt air ascent - i agree wholeheartedly with your summary NWGD.

anything else is a fiddle, really - mucking about with valves & stuff is only going to stress you out & make you use more air.

the chance of 2 scuba units failing at the same time is much less than just one failing :p

TSandM:
If I were separated from my buddy (in which case, shame on me AND him), this is one of the few times when removing one's gear underwater might be necessary. Luckily, since I don't dive weight integrated, I could do that without too much hardship.

this is my reason for diving with weight spread across different systems: integrated & belt - losing 1/2 your weight hopefully less problem than losing all your weight - either from busted belt or having to remove your bc.

What if someone chummed the water from the boat, or a speared fish, while you are at 100ft, You see Very large Great White shark swimming around the boat, You have a 1st stage failure, and are now sharing air with your dive partner, and the 2 of you are running out of air in his/her tank fast. The boat is too far from shore to head for the shore to avoid swimming directly towards the boat where the shark is. What do you do, besides stabbing your dive buddy? Oh by the way, you or your dive buddy do not have a pony bottle and reg, because you, were too embarrased to dive with the extra gear because you alway read on scubaboard, how some divers here, said using your brain and a good dive buddy is more valuable than a pony bottle. What do you do? lol

What difference would a pony bottle make in this scenario? Or even the fact that the two of you are sharing air (except it limits the time you can wait underwater). You're asking the question, "What do you do if there is a large shark at the boat, and you have to get back on the boat?" It's a legitimate question, but the divers' equipment doesn't change the issue, IMO.

SuSexFulDiver:

Try to board the boat and wish for the best? Shoot a marker and hopefully the shark will attack that rather than you? Maybe shooting a bag will get the divers on the boat to distract the shark somehow giving you time to board.

I think in a case like that, a pony bottle will give divers a little more time, the divers would not have to share air from the same tank if one of them had a pony.

FrankC420

Great ideas, hopefully the captain on the boat will do something immediatly to get the shark to leave the area of the boat, if he notice the shark near the boat.

SuSexFulDiver:

I wonder if the "Dive alert" or similar device that connects to the lp hose would scare a shark away? Anyone about this?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom