"What if ..?"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What I do know is that most of us think/act from our own reference point. There is no judgement in that regard from me although I have always thought it was a higher human calling to try and understand the viewpoints of others. To me this is the basis of developing empathy. I don't knock Sas for thinking what she thinks - I'm just trying to understand her.

I agree absolutely. I hope never to have a child therefore I will never see the importance of children at all. I also know what it is like to have a parent that doesn't love their child, so again I know that parent-child relationships are not always important. I like hearing about others' viewpoints though and hearing how their views have been formed.

and I think every.... single.... parent... .in the world would agree with that and without hesitation.

No they wouldn't. I am surprised I survived my childhood without my father selling me for some cocaine. Some parents do not love their children.

This is idealistic and untrue. Some parents this applies to (the majority I would expect), other parents it does not. It all goes back to the fact that one cannot determine who is more valuable to save just based on whether they have children or not. On the balance of probabilities they probably do have a special relationship with their children but this does not make them more worthy of saving to me. There are other things that might be more important than this "special relationship" too, it's not the be-all and end-all of what is important in life as some of us don't see a need for it.

If you are able to have children, and I hope you are, you're going to laugh at what you wrote here after you give birth and hold your child for the first 10 seconds.

If you are able to have children, and I hope you are, you're going to laugh at what you wrote here after you give birth and hold your child for the first 10 seconds.

I don't like children and I also have genetic issues I do not want to pass onto a child. Some of us just don't want children. This doesn't equal a less fulfilled life. Either side cannot know how it is for the other. Parenthood changes people too much for them to relate back to childless people.

No they wouldn't. I am surprised I survived my childhood without my father selling me for some cocaine. Some parents do not love their children.

It is true that some parents do not show much love for their children, and I myself am largely a product of such an environment. When I had my own children, though, it was different. When we thought (incorrectly, fortunately) that my oldest son had fallen into a raging river and drowned, the terror and loss I felt was incomprehensible.

Drugs, particularly heroin or cocaine, through all normality out the window. Once that becomes part of the equation you are not dealing with normal human emotions any more.

I don't like children and I also have genetic issues I do not want to pass onto a child. Some of us just don't want children. This doesn't equal a less fulfilled life. Either side cannot know how it is for the other. Parenthood changes people too much for them to relate back to childless people.

I remember not having children. And thinking that I didn't want them either. You may think you don't like children, but if you had one, I'll gladly buy you any regulator setup you want if you can actually say you wouldn't tear someone's eyes out if they tried to harm your baby. It's a scary, powerful love.

For most people it is sure but not all parents have that scary love for their kids. I would prefer not to find out. I'd rather spend the rest of my life doing whatever I want without having to worry about a dependent. Lots of parents have told me this is selfish and sure it is, that's the point. I also think the world doesn't need more children. And I don't want to risk my children inheriting certain things. I know if I had a child though I would love it like how you are describing but then I wouldn't know any different.

Whoa :shocked2:

That's a lot of detail, Sas. You sure you want that up for the whole world to see?

R..

Whoa :shocked2:

That's a lot of detail, Sas. You sure you want that up for the whole world to see?

R..

I'm not embarrassed by the actions of my father and everyone I know knows already.

Edit: but do you take my point now? :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom