what insurance is needed to open a dive Shop and or to teach scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't know, but I'll take a guess and say none. That is if you are talking about legalities, and in most places like Canada and the U.S. Don't know about a shop, but you obviously are required to have insurance to teach if you are an instructor with an agency (required by the agency, that is). If not, or if you open a shop not affiliated with any agency who knows. I say probably none is required because scuba is still (thank goodness) very unregulated by government. Of course you'd be crazy to teach without insurance.

Location dependent.
In the Philippines I had my private DAN.
In Nz, I had nothing as it was covered under ACC.
In the Maldives I need DAN Pro Silver or higher to be legally teaching.

I'd check with the dive agency you plan to use for your training. They will have their own requirements.

To teach you HAVE to have liability insurance. I believe most agencies require 1 million. The base coverage without any bells and whistles costs me somewhere in the neighborhood of $450 as a technical instructor to Witherspoon and Associates. Which reminds me, I have to pay that this month :(

As far as insurance for a store.... If you DON'T have liability to cover regs you improperly rebuilt, tanks exploding, someone slipping, tripping, bumping their head, cutting themselves as you show them a knife they want to buy, then you really don't have the wisdom to run a store. Seriously, in the US where people are sue crazy, you should have insurance in case they forget to put the seat down and fall in the toilet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom