What is a Good Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

metaldector

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What is a Good Diver?

Almost all of us on this board are divers. Some are new, some have been diving for years, and many are infrequent divers while others are avid divers with 1000’s of dives. So our training levels and experiences vary as does age, and accessibility to dive sites. Because of this, I’ve been wondering for sometime about a phrase I hear spoken between dives. “Oh, he’s a good diver!” Or the opposite, “Man, what a terrible diver, I won’t dive with him again!” or something to that effect.

What makes a diver a good diver in the eyes of his peers? Is it his coolness, an ambiance in the water? His calmness in demeanor or his aggressive take charge attitude? Is a good diver easy to spot because of his trim, buoyancy, quickness to assemble equipment, buddy skills, his daring do? Or is a good diver someone whom is respected because he is steady, and can be counted on to react the best possible way in a crisis? Is a good diver the guy with the most scuba toys, gear, and the newest stuff, or the diver with the oldest torn up gear and mismatch booties? Is the good diver the guy who shares his knowledge with the new guys or the guy who has a book full of cert cards? What makes the good diver? Is it that he has traveled with world, spent many dives on live-a-boards and has a tale to tell? Is a good diver the person who has dove extremely deep or the diver with a logbook over flowing with notes? Are good divers multi-disciplined as in cave, ocean, wreak diving: as opposed to quarry diving only? Are cold water divers better divers than warm water divers, are wetsuit divers better than drysuit divers? Is the guy with the Instructor badge better than the well trained and practice diver?

I know how to recognize a bad diver, but recognizing a good diver is more subjective. Without naming names think of the person you consider the best respected diver you know. Put into words, why this person in your opinion is worthy of your respect and the title “Good Diver”. Or tell us what you personally need to do to achieve the title “Good Diver”.

Nice thread idea...

- Keenly aware of his/her limitations (training, experience, etc)
- Kaizen philosophy (seeking continuous improvement)
- Utmost respect for the elements
- Conscientious
- Cool, calm and collected at all times

My 2 psi.

Looking forward to what the real divers here (the good and experienced ones) will have to say!!!

Alex

a good diver dives to dive another day

A good diver to me is one who does not destroy the reef bouncing and crashing into it, is always prepared and ready to dive with well maintained equipment that works correctly with no fuss, who then actually shows up for the dive with all the needed equipment and knows how to effectively use it and brings only what is actually needed for the dive.

"Without naming names think of the person you consider the best respected diver you know.

That would be Mike Nelson of course.
N

Another aspect of a good diver is that they are not a know it all but are always willing to learn or try something new.

Mmm a good diver huh?

Well I would omit, daring, quick in setting up gear, has lots of certifications and those sorts of things.

I'd include
* At ease and in control while in the water
* Quick and able to help others
* Capable of responding well in a bad situation
* Dives within their limits
* Has a sense of order and good planning that inspires others.
* Does not plunder the dive site
* Seeks constant improvement

A good diver may, but need not:
* Be taking continuing dive education
* Mentor other divers

If it looks easy when they do it then they are probably good divers.

Pete

For me, an astute reading of the ocean where he can execute an adventure in synchrony with changing tides and existing currents, knows where and when to see certain marine life and is able to predict which challenges we will encounter. I don't care about his gear configuration, his agency, or even his philosophy. I prefer a relaxed casual attitude even in conditions that warrant the full medley of skills. I like the diver who reveres nature during the dive and is eager to recieve a thrill when conditions and chance present themselves. A good diver knows how to enjoy diving and makes it appear effortless. Some of the very best I have known in my time diving, are living the the dive life and have very little money. Their gear comes from all over and it is secondary to the experience. They don't put the people they mentor on a rigid program but instead they facilitate the experience by leading people into the optimal state of mind, like a spiritual leader of sorts. Often these divers live in remote locales and sacrafice almost everything to dive. These are exceptional divers and because they fascinate me, I study them closely. These divers will teach you priceless things that are not found in a syllabus. These divers invite you in and often money is not involved. They understand the difference between acting cool and being cool.

I think catherine96821 pretty much covered everything!

A good diver is one who is willing to listen and to share their knowledge. Someone dependable, considerate and able to evaluate all aspects of a dive and adjust accordingly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom