What is an "advanced" diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Storker

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
close to a Hell which occasionally freezes over
# of dives
100 - 199
I've seen a thread or two (or three...) on the issue of what constitutes an "advanced" dive, and opinions have varied... a bit. To put it mildly. Now, in a recent thread, I've stumbled over the term "advanced diver":

An advanced diver should not be forced to jump in with a bouyant BC.

I have to admit I'd struggle if I were asked to define an "advanced" diver. I do know, though, that a basic PADI AOW cert is pretty far from making a diver "advanced" (I've been there, done that, and got the T-shirt). So, what, in your opinion, makes a diver "advanced"?

('scuse me for a second while I break out the popcorn... :wink: )

Basic English. A person has advanced from their previous position. Thus a PADI AOW has "advanced" from their previous position of OW. There is still a lot of advancement to go at that point:D

No such thing as an "advanced diver" per se although BSAC (the UK agency) does have an "Advanced Diver" certification (CMAS 3 star). So if you accept their view it is CMAS 3 star.
(Still a lot of advancement to go at that point :grinjester:)

Hmmm I doubt I´ve heard anyone saying that they are an "advanced diver" out of a certification context. It´s just that the term "advanced" is so vague and everyone can have his own definition of it so it doesn´t really make sense if you don´t agree first on what "advanced" mean, hence the certification context. In the thread you meantioned maybe dan meant that diver has been diving for a long time and is kind of a "seasoned" diver? In this case he can skip the "green diver´s" steps and go straight to the point.

I think it's not something that can be easily defined. Depends on the context. Although in my opinion PADI's AWO is not an advanced diver in any context... (if with minimum requirements).

tough one. even between agencies there is such a wide divergence. My understanding is that BSACs advanced is closer to PADIs Rescue whereas PADIs AOW is only a marginal step up from their OW. Yep I'm a PADI AOW and I do use the term though I am aware that it means very very little. Diving is a tiered world as well so even if you quantify what "advanced" was you would have to specify in what field. An "advanced" recreational diver would make for an inexperienced Tech diver. An "advanced" tropical water diver could well look amateurish in cold water.I have dove with a rescue diver( with over 300 dives) who by definition is more advanced then an OW/AOW yet I thanked god he wasn't buddied with me cause he frightened me UW.Similiarly I have dove with "lowly" OWs who I would classify as advanced simply because they demonstrated superb buoyancy, air consumption and awareness UW.
So Imagine their are no agencies or cards (its easy if you try) how then would I qualify someone as been "advanced" . Theres only one way - I'd have to dive with them. So if anyone would like an official "jongles advanced recreational diver endorsement"* chit please forward on appropiate flight and accomadation costs to myself and I'll gladly join you UW. Perhaps I'll learn something.

.... My understanding is that BSACs advanced is closer to PADIs Rescue...

BSAC AD is just past PADI Divemaster. No real equivalent as PADI doesn't do deco. For many years the Achilles heel of PADI until they moved to DSAT.

BSAC AD is just past PADI Divemaster. No real equivalent as PADI doesn't do deco. For many years the Achilles heel of PADI until they moved to DSAT.

cheers chrisch, I knew it was far ahead of PADIs AOW didn't realise just how far.

An advanced diver is a diver that

1) can plan and execute a safe dive in a variety of dive conditions

2) is knowledgable regarding dive equipment and it's maintenance

3) is able to calmly and efficiently adapt to changing dive conditions or gear issues during the planned dive

4) has the knowledge to identify potential problems before they occur and the skills to manage unforeseeable emergencies

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom