What is considered Diver Friendly in a hotel or resort?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An electrical outlet outside to boil my shells.

When you go on a dive vacation, what do you consider when booking a room?

I wasn't sure if you were asking about the general specs when booking accommodation or you were referring specifically to "diver-friendly" accommodation. But since the general aspects - such as price, cleanliness and price - have been mentioned, I thought I'd add things that divers consider nice to have on a trip.

1. If the dive operation is part of the resort/hotel, a secure storage area for equipment (locked or supervised at all times)
  2. Scheduling that takes divers' needs into consideration - such as meals. If there is a very early dive or night diving, the kitchens will accommodate this
  3. Staff who understand things divers do and don't shout if they see a wetsuit hanging from your balcony (a lot of places can be snobby)

I'm sure there are other things people can think of.

I wasn't sure if you were asking about the general specs when booking accommodation or you were referring specifically to "diver-friendly" accommodation. But since the general aspects - such as price, cleanliness and price - have been mentioned, I thought I'd add things that divers consider nice to have on a trip.

1. If the dive operation is part of the resort/hotel, a secure storage area for equipment (locked or supervised at all times)
  2. Scheduling that takes divers' needs into consideration - such as meals. If there is a very early dive or night diving, the kitchens will accommodate this
  3. Staff who understand things divers do and don't shout if they see a wetsuit hanging from your balcony (a lot of places can be snobby)

I'm sure there are other things people can think of.

You are on the right track.

I end up renting a home or condo when I travel for this reason. Most hotels or resorts frown on washing gear out in the pool or the shower in your room.

A dive friendly place has a rinse area and a place to dry and store gear securely.

A few dive operations will also provide this service as well but may come at an extra cost or a commitment to dive with only them.

very nice inputs everyone! Maybe we need to include that it has to be rebreather friendly :)

I just got home from Monterey, where we stay in a truly diver-friendly motel. It's older and not fancy or elegant, but it's inexpensive (first criterion). They have hooks outside each room for hanging suits, and they have rinse tubs and a shower for rinsing gear and suits. To me, that's diver-friendly.

In Mexico, my criteria are a COVERED patio to spread dive gear for drying, and a washer and dryer. Anyone who travels with a dry suit knows that one is going to get somewhat wet. Being able to dry wet undergarments is critical, and occasionally being able to wash wet undergarments (which were not wet with water one was diving in, if you get my drift) is nice, too.

I go diving to enjoy myself so I like a reasonable level of comfort. Generally I prefer "self catering" but if I have to go to a hotel I try to chose one where I will not feel out of place wandering through reception looking like a drowned rat, dressed in T shirt and shorts dragging a wet smelly dive bag behind me.

Depends:

Locally I look for a place that is clean, basic, 1st floor, has rinse tanks or hoses, wifi and easy access to the dive sites.

If I travel to SE Asia, I look for fun, relaxing, safe, friendly, comfortable enough, bungalow with a porch and hammock is nice, hot water is a luxury ;-). My equipment often stays at the dive shop.

A diver-friendly hotel is one that recognizes that its clientele is there to dive, not to visit the hotel, and arranges its accommodations and policies to cater to that notion ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I look for hotels that don't give you the hairy eyeball when you lug your gear through the lobby.

Criteria for hotels and resorts during a diving vacation ~~

Driving to/from Florida
1) Clean and smoke-free rooms
2) Inexpensive
3) Vehicle is visible from room
4) First floor is preferred, but not required
5) Fridge and freezer preferred, but not required
All scuba gear except the tanks go into the room. Clothes, electronics and personal stuff go into the room. Stuff for the kitchen, bedroom and bathroom stay in the vehicle.

While living in Florida
Apartment or hotel must be within walking distance of the beach, while wearing and carrying full scuba gear or pulling kayak on dolly. This includes free and safe access to beach, with benches for gearing up and rinse stations preferred.
We have been fortunate in the resources available at Lauderdale-by-the-Sea, a small retirement community north of Ft. Lauderdale. These include

1) Clean and smoke-free apartment with kitchen, one- or two-bedrooms depending on whether our kids come with us (both are adults)
2) Inexpensive, reduced rates for divers, long-term stays
3) Free off-street parking, vehicle visible from apartment
4) First floor only
5) Patio for our portable laundry rack (wet gear) and Sterlite lock boxes (rinse stations)
6) Outdoor faucet and water hose needed for cleaning gear
7) Sufficient indoor storage for dive gear, other stuff
8) Internet access is required for professional reasons
9) On-site laundry is preferred, but not required

Other amenities at LBTS include a first-class library system, a free community bus with connections to the metro bus line, a genuine small-town atmosphere with all the usual services, and miles of free beach access for strolls and sightseeing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom