What is going on with this button SPG?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes that's what I've done, no air comes out of the unplugged HP port with the reg connected. Seems like a clogged port.

No doubt. You could try blowing tank air through the HP port in reverse to clear a clog on the inside. Like I said that's just something I'd try there could be reasons it wouldn't be a good idea but I can't think of any.

On a brand new reg it's likely the machinist didn't go deep enough with the drill for the hole. I've seen this from time to time with regs from a number of mfg's. It happens.

Usually blamed by some on "those cheap chinese regs with poor quality control" but as someone who works in the metal manufacturing industry, things happen.

A bit can dull or lose a tip. The machine, probably computer controlled, has a hiccup and the drill axis isn't told to go down far enough.

Or the reg is not firmly seated in the clamps. As long as they make it right there is no issue. The reg does need to go back to the mfg though. It's not something that can be fixed by a shop tech.

On a brand new reg it's likely the machinist didn't go deep enough with the drill for the hole. I've seen this from time to time with regs from a number of mfg's. It happens.

Usually blamed by some on "those cheap chinese regs with poor quality control" but as someone who works in the metal manufacturing industry, things happen.

A bit can dull or lose a tip. The machine, probably computer controlled, has a hiccup and the drill axis isn't told to go down far enough.

Or the reg is not firmly seated in the clamps. As long as they make it right there is no issue. The reg does need to go back to the mfg though. It's not something that can be fixed by a shop tech.

Sounds probable but you'd think Scubapro would test all ports on their regs before letting them out of the factory, it's an important piece of hardware after all.

Now you see how quality control really works. They probably have a sample size they need to check based on the run. First article, every 5,10, or maybe even 25 based on past experience and whoever is in the quality dept that day. 100% inspection is used in some of the aerospace and DOD jobs we run. But when you start getting into quantities over 100 or 50 even depending on the part, it's just not practical.

I am pretty sure that most if not all regulator manufacturers are setting and testing the 1st stage IP and the attached 2nd stage adjustments on each individual item, although I don't know how much automation might be involved. Unless/until an issue like this happens, I don't know if anyone would even think to include a visual inspection of the port drill holes.

Scubapro contacted me and the most likely cause is that someone placed an O ring in the wrong spot when converting the reg to DIN - baffles me how this can happen because I purchased it new and one would think that even if they are converted to DIN after leaving the factory, the person doing it should've done it before?

I am waiting for a local technician to contact me to check/fix it.

I'll post the results here for future generations to find.

Scubapro contacted me and the most likely cause is that someone placed an O ring in the wrong spot when converting the reg to DIN - baffles me how this can happen because I purchased it new and one would think that even if they are converted to DIN after leaving the factory, the person doing it should've done it before?

I am waiting for a local technician to contact me to check/fix it.

I'll post the results here for future generations to find.

Out of curiosity, did you buy this 1st stage as part of a set from your LDS? I would have expected them to put it on a cylinder, and check the LP and HP pressures before shipping it.

Out of curiosity, did you buy this 1st stage as part of a set from your LDS? I would have expected them to put it on a cylinder, and check the LP and HP pressures before shipping it.

bought the 1st stage only for a new pony, had another second stage around so didn't need a set.

There is one o-ring, while I guess it’s possible that.... no I don’t think that’s possible and bovine droppings are more likely.

There is one o-ring, while I guess it’s possible that.... no I don’t think that’s possible and bovine droppings are more likely.
Huh? this is too cryptic...

Back
Top Bottom