What is it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Savaaha

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ive had one person tell me its a Snorkeling vest, another told me its a vintage BC. So which is it?
I picked it up at a thriftshop for 2.50. Also picked up a Prosub Octo for the same price(which works flawlessly).

ad602293.jpg

I do not plan on actually using it. I bought it for the novelty as I thought it was a vintage BC. It does have a c02 hookup under the pocket.

Ive had one person tell me its a Snorkeling vest, another told me its a vintage BC. So which is it?
I picked it up at a thriftshop for 2.50. Also picked up a Prosub Octo for the same price(which works flawlessly).

ad602293.jpg

I do not plan on actually using it. I bought it for the novelty as I thought it was a vintage BC. It does have a c02 hookup under the pocket.

Beautiful. 70/30 Let call it a skin diving horsecollar, vest.

They told me from one of the vintage websites it was from the late 60s-early 70s.

It's a vintage floatation device. It was intended to be used with scuba but it's not really correct to call it a BC because it was used as a surface floatation device. Once divers got the idea you could add some air at depth for buoyancy compensation it morfed into the horse collar BC. It a late 60's to early 70's model.

I've come across a few of these vests....haven't had one that didn't crumble and flake apart in my hands.

This one is in great shape, the bladder looks to even still be good. I have not inflated it tho to find out.

This one is in great shape, the bladder looks to even still be good. I have not inflated it tho to find out.

That's when your day usually goes down the chute.

You can use it as a BC but it's not ideal when you consider that the lift will be down under you. It's a acceptable as long as your need for lift is limited. I have a number of variations that I play with a few times a year.

They are much better used deflated with perfect weighting and manageable neoprene. Then they become surface flotation devices.

Pete

I'm gonna use it as a scuba conversation piece or possibly donate it to a scuba museum if any shows interest in attaining one. I bought it because I saw was a diving item and at a low enough price it did not have to be functional. :)

What you have is a Dacor Model CV25 Multiple Capacity Compensator Vest. I have one, and it still works. Here is what Dacor in its 1977 catalog states:
Model CV25 Multiple Capacity Compensator Vest--Medium volume capacity. Gussetted construction of high tensile strength nylon over vinyl inner bladder. Tough untrasonically (sp?) welded seams and sewn edge binding. Features automatic relief valve with quick purge and spiral inflate/deflate hose with lip-stop cold-water mouthpiece. "Kwik" harness with collar fastened crotch and shoulder straps. Sewn-in key ring and personalized identification holder. Has automatic relief valve with quick purge and spiral inflate/deflate hose with lip-stop cold-water mouthpiece. (sentence repeated in the catalog) Bladder drain and new quirk drain mesh decrease water drainage time. Single pocket and 25 gram CO2 cartridge. Compact size, yet provides 23 lds. of surface buoyancy. Can also be equipped with 16 gram CO2 cartridge. Available in orange or charcoal.
I used it for a while, first because it was compact, and second because I could modify the harness to try a different one I was working on for my Para-Sea BC concept. It would be great for a surface floatation device, or for younger divers. My sons used it when they were little, for instance.

The way you can tell it was designed as a BC is that it does have an overpressure relief valve. This means that it is safe to inflate underwater, and it is an easy design to deflate as the diver ascends, if necessary (pull the knob on the relief valve). Surface floatation devices (now also called PFDs, or Personal Floatation Device), such as the Mae West or the LPU (Underarm Life Preserver) have a CO2 inflation and an oral inflation mechanism, but no overpressure relief valve.

SeaRat

Attachments

• Dacor BC.jpg
    Dacor BC.jpg
    422.3 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
Thanks John. I do not know if this one works or not, haven't tried it, nor am I honestly sure how, LOL.

Back
Top Bottom