What is "lift"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wackodacko

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello everyone! I've been researching on tons of different BCs and will be buying one this Sunday.. my only question is.. What is LIFT?? When the catalog description says "capable of 50lbs of lift" What does that mean?

thankS!!

Lift is positive bouyancy. 50 lbs of lift means that the bag should, when full, can lift 50lbs.

(I'm not sure if 50 lbs of lift can lift 50lbs or make 50lbs neutral, but that is splitting a small hair)

Edited after F-M and W's last post...:D

Right, but with tank, exposure suit, weights, and your own body weight/flotation it should be enough to make you positively boyant. If you are perfectly weighted, you should only need enough boyancy added at depth to accound for the 5 lbs of air in your tank that you use and the compression of your neoprene wet suit.

Of course since weighting rarely that perfect.... you may need to add a little more.

which states that an object will be buoyed up by the weight of the volume of water it displaces. A fifty pound lift BC displaces 50 pounds of water... 50lbs/64 lbs per Ft3 = 0.78 Ft3 of volume (or there abouts).

Originally posted by wackodacko
sorry.. i dont understand.. only 50lbs will be positively bouyant and the rest is what? my body weighs 150..

Well, _you_ way 150 lbs on land, but that doesn't mean you'll be 150 lbs negative in water. Most likely with a wetsuit you'll need weight to make yourself negatively bouyant so you can sink.

Now your thinking "why would I ever need 50 lbs of lift?". Well, when you start getting into multiple tank rigs, where the difference between an empty tank and a full tank is 5-7 lbs, and you've got 4 tanks, that's 20-28 lbs you need to compensate for so you won't be positively bouyant at the end of the dive. In other words, to start the dive you _have_ to at least as negative as difference between a full tank and an empty tank.

There are other things that will make you more negatively bouyant at depth. Wetsuit 'squeeze' is another one. If you have a 2 peice 7 mil suit, it's not going to be 7 mil thick at 99 feet, since the air in the suit will compress, thus making it lose some of it's bouyancy. e.g. if you have a wetsuit that is 20 lb positive, and you take it down to where it sqeezes 50%, it's now 10 lb positive. So take that wetsuit with the above tank specs, and your looking at 30-38 lbs negative at depth with full tanks.

The lift of your BC needs to be able to take care of those differences.

Now to step back... for a basic recreational diver, you probably don't need to worry about the lift capacity of your BC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom